Is there a difference between circular saw cordless blades and mains blades?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope it 's not a silly question, but I am new to theses tools.
Greetings

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thinner kerf blades are often used, takes less power.

Be careful you get the same jerf

I'm making garden furniture and want a blade with say 60 teeth as I saw a very good you tube video showing how to cut lap joints. So looking at Amazon, I was about to buy a Saxton, lots of them for sale. However I saw some bad reviews which worried me a bit (I never know what to make of these though).

I have been looking at a "Trend" for £15 and £17, and a Makita. Also Evolution. I am wondering if it matters much.

Do you have any particular ideas?

Alan

just a Diyer, I use freud blades in my Dewalt cordless Circular Saw 40 teeth and mains powered sliding mitre saw, used 60 & 8- teeth to cut laminate and hardwood , recently cutting marine ply
Only 2 weeks ago , i needed a set of Multitool blades and saw a lot of recommendations for Saxton, and also here
While buying the multitool blades , I discussed the other saw blades they have
there's a very interesting youtube video comparing blades
I'm did also see some of the poor reviews on amazon
BUT the multitool blades have been the best i purchased and lasted much longer than other makes, dewalt and Eurabeur
so i will try the saxton in future
However heres the video

I have used normal blades in my cordless Circular Saw (CS) and they seem fine for the limited use i need. I think the fine kerf improves battery life, my cordless CS, is NOT brushless, originally i was under the misunderstanding that XR also meant brushless - which it does NOT

Last edited:
Thanks, it's a useful video. Saxton seems to be abundant and I might go for that.

Best to you

Alan

Good, I need to find out if they come with reducing rings for my Lidls Parkside 20mm bore saw.

It's too hot for this, can't handle the weather.

yep, much to hot, but better talking about it online then out doing it , i had a bit of shelf making yesterday and progress was very slow and changed twice!!!!!!

i know for the evolution they actually make the right bore size , thats where the conversation started as my son-in law has that make of mitre saw and uses a saxton blade 60t blade and made a lot of things with it, drawset, sliding under cupboard unit, mitered skirting boards etc

Reminded me to call them, as i needed some more multitool blades and also I hit some metal with my freud blade on the workmate , much too hot and last cut set-up and slightly misaligned , at as i reached the last 2" stretch slightly , i pushed through - DIY-er ahh
Anyway ordered a couple of the 48t 165x20 , so will see how they go next week , when cutting. lot of various sheet material making cabinets, toy boxes and toilet vanity unit

Last edited:
What's jerf Notch 7? A typo I imagine.

Yes ete and everyone, a Saxon it is. I'm always uncomfortable about reviews.

Cordless circular saw blades not only have a thinner kerf, but you also need to look at going to the lowest tooth count you can with cordless tools in order to maximise battery life (run time). The thinner kerf also makes them more likely to be damaged if you hit an inclusion, such as grit or a screw, the thin kerf blades have a shorter life span (i.e they blunt fastet), and unlike full kerf blades they often can't be resharpened. So no, there IS a difference (or two)

Saxton blades are actually OK. Can't say that Trend are that much better, but if you are talking about full kerf mitre saw blades then brands such as Bosch, Freud, Makita (except for Makforce), deWalt, etc will tend to stay sharper longer and have more resharpenings in them because they have larger (and better quality) carbide inserts. For a pro woodworker running multiple mitre saw blades that is significant, but for the average DIYer I can't see it making much difference.

As stated above, the kerf of a replacement blade on a rip saw with a riving knife should ideally more or less match the kerf of the original blade (or be thicker never thinner). Fitting a thin kerf cordless blade with a thickness of say, 1.65mm onto a saw with a 2.0mm riving knife will.obviously result in problems as the riving knife will be too wide to enter the cut

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back