Is there a laminate filler?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few problems with laminate flooring

Firstly, I need to fill gaps. In a few places, two pieces have developed a gap in between. If I could get a filler to conceal the gap, that would be great

Secondly, in some parts, there has been water damage and the laminate can be visibly seen to be raised in parts

What can i do? Would be a crazy idea to try and sand down? I'm thinking that would be silly because the wood is very thin!

Thirdly, is it feasible to replace a few strips of laminate? The laminate is at least 10 years old!! :)

Just looking for advice

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
You can replace laminate strips but they will stand out.

Water damage laminate has to be replaced - maybe the underlay is also damaged?

Why have the gaps developed? Is it connected with the water damage?

Perhaps, post pics of the floor on here?

You really have to make a call: do i spend and repair or do i spend more and replace?

You can replace laminate strips but they will stand out.

Water damage laminate has to be replaced - maybe the underlay is also damaged?

Why have the gaps developed? Is it connected with the water damage?

Perhaps, post pics of the floor on here?

You really have to make a call: do i spend and repair or do i spend more and replace?
@ree thanks for the reply

some of the laminates is raised because of water damage

other parts - i have no explanation

as for pictures... it's really hard to show the raised surface in pictures

see below for a pic, u can see a gap on the bottom right hand side:

jSWtadO.jpg

The laminate might not have originally had an expansion gap at the ends and edges, and against all abutments including thresholds and pipes.

A 10-12mm gap all around is safe.

Perhaps remove the scotia behind the rad and see if you have expansion room. The rad pipes seem tight - are they? You could chisel an expansion gap around the pipes and cover with a split escutcheon ring.

To be brief: if you replace the raised, water damaged lengths then do the same either side of the "gap".

All finished floors rely on preparation, of course. They will then hold out best against most kinds of movement.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Sponsored Links
as an aside

cheap laminate is no more than a plastic wear layer a printed paper patern and a backing off mdf/chipboard or if its water resistant plastic moulding

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
as an aside

cheap laminate is no more than a plastic wear layer a printed paper patern and a backing off mdf/chipboard or if its water resistant plastic moulding

This.

Buy replacement boards that match or replace the lot.

If it is floating (likely), and if you can find boards to match and replace the rest, you can likely take the floor apart somewhat, relay the boards tight to get rid of the gaps, filling gaps is going to look rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back