Is there a requirment for the 'Splash strip'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's the gap between the patio slabs and the house. Some people fill it with pea shingle or stones. Is it required or can the patio slabs butt the house? Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is normal for them not to be abutted to the house because rainwater will splash up from them and wet the bricks above the damp course. This can cause problems - as you can imagine.

It really depends on how far up your DPC is from your slab level.

How far are we talking?

It is normal for them not to be abutted to the house because rainwater will splash up from them and wet the bricks above the damp course. This can cause problems - as you can imagine.

How far are we talking?

I see. Excellent thanks

About two bricks so about 150mm.

2 bricks thick//150mm is, AFAIK, fine. It is when it is less than this when the problem can occur.

Have a read of the article below. That is a really good site for info.

Come back with any further questions.

B

http://www.pavingexpert.com/dpc01.htm

Sponsored Links

How far are we talking?

What about rain directly hitting the bricks from above....the wall handles that OK.

I think there is a fair bit of needless worry about the 150mm, yes in an ideal world but as mentioned if the wall is a cavity then the outer skin is separated anyway and quite possible saturated anyway during spells of long rainfall. Any new building has its doors and often the wall immediately each side with a level threshold so no 150mm, there is no problems per se with this.

I think there is a fair bit of needless worry about the 150mm, yes in an ideal world but as mentioned if the wall is a cavity then the outer skin is separated anyway and quite possible saturated anyway during spells of long rainfall. Any new building has its doors and often the wall immediately each side with a level threshold so no 150mm, there is no problems per se with this.

I agree. I don't know how much of a problem this would actually be - especially with a cavity wall set-up.

The OP asked whether the gap was necessary so I gave him the 'textbook answer'.

I think he is now in the best position to make an informed decision in light of all that has been said.

I agree. I don't know how much of a problem this would actually be - especially with a cavity wall set-up.

The OP asked whether the gap was necessary so I gave him the 'textbook answer'.

I think he is now in the best position to make an informed decision in light of all that has been said.

Exactly. What more can you do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back