Is there a time out safety appliance for a kitchen tap?

If the cold water pressure and flow rate is fine, then my previous reply regarding undersink heater is still an option, since these are fed by the cold water mains. It would be entirely possible to run both the kitchen and bathroom hot taps from this same heater and do-away with using the hot water cylinder for anything other than a bath.

what approx price and installation costs for this FYI heater?

Sponsored Links
I think this was the one that appeared on Dragons Den a couple of years back, approaches the problem from the other side by cutting the water off if the basin/bath starts to overflow, maybe a better solution for you all round?

http://www.nova-flo.com/

If the cold water pressure and flow rate is fine, then my previous reply regarding undersink heater is still an option, since these are fed by the cold water mains. It would be entirely possible to run both the kitchen and bathroom hot taps from this same heater and do-away with using the hot water cylinder for anything other than a bath.

what approx price and installation costs for this FYI heater?

My plumber has responded quite positively about the undersink heater but said it might depend upon the type of cylinder we have (only just replaced it with standard one)

I have also asked him to check out the Novaflow..Thanks to all over and out!

Sponsored Links
Hang on, if a slow flowing kitchen hot tap has caused a flood in the flat below then your sink overflow can't be working properly.

Sorting that out should be the first priority, and would be MUCH cheaper than any other solution to boost the hot water flow rate.

Sorting that out should be the first priority, and would be MUCH cheaper than any other solution to boost the hot water flow rate.

Find out where the cold water storage tank is. You'd expect low pressure froma combination cylinder, with the cold tank (feeding the hot cylinder) located just below the ceiling, on the same floor as the sink.

You could expect reasonable pressure and flow from a cold water storage cistern one storey or more above the sink. Maybe they've used pipes that are too small (cheaper) or they've used an imported tap designed for an European mains pressure supply. Either of those would restrict the flow excessively. The EEC import tap problem is tediously common. It could be a blockage or a partially closed service valve.

Sort that out, if it can be sorted, before progressing to clever taps.

Find out where the cold water storage tank is. You'd expect low pressure froma combination cylinder, with the cold tank (feeding the hot cylinder) located just below the ceiling, on the same floor as the sink.

You could expect reasonable pressure and flow from a cold water storage cistern one storey or more above the sink. Maybe they've used pipes that are too small (cheaper) or they've used an imported tap designed for an European mains pressure supply. Either of those would restrict the flow excessively. The EEC import tap problem is tediously common. It could be a blockage or a partially closed service valve.

I will certainly investigate the overflow, but dont think there is one. The kitchen overlooks a sort of very public paved area and the flat wall is faces the main shopping centre of a busy new town..could they have not put an overflow in to stop it pouring onto passing people and taxis etc? It might have been a planning or aesthetic issue? /we are not able to have a tumble dryer vent in that wall without a lot of expensive planning hoo ha with the leasehold managers

Sort that out, if it can be sorted, before progressing to clever taps.

The overflow referred to is normally an integral part of the sink (a grill close to the top of the basin or even on the draining board), which has a flexible plastic pipe joining directly to the existing trap just under the sink.

As for the cost of the undersink heater - it also depends on cable runs etc. So, sorry that I can't give you a ballpark figure. Get a few quotes from at least two plumbers if you end u taking this route. In the meantime, it's worth getting your current chappie to investigate the other routes of taps and narrow pipes.

Sorry it's not a quick fix, but at least you have a few lines of enquiry.

So far everything sounds a bit farse about ace to me. The problem is not that the hot water pressure is too low for the tap, it is the tap presently fitted is unsuitable for use on the low pressure hot water system you have.

Try changing the tap for one that is suitable for a low pressure supply.

Much of the brassware on the market is foreign imports only suitable for use on mains pressure unvented systems.
Low pressure taps are available in most styles, but, unfortunately, many of the staff in DIY sheds etc. haven't a clue what they are selling, and property developers are more interested in the cost of parts than their suitability for the application.

Building control won't be interested the problem. Their job is to stop the building falling down, blowing up or catching fire. Nothing do with the practicalities of actually using the services.

So far everything sounds a bit farse about ace to me. The problem is not that the hot water pressure is too low for the tap, it is the tap presently fitted is unsuitable for use on the low pressure hot water system you have.

Try changing the tap for one that is suitable for a low pressure supply.

Much of the brassware on the market is foreign imports only suitable for use on mains pressure unvented systems.
Low pressure taps are available in most styles, but, unfortunately, many of the staff in DIY sheds etc. haven't a clue what they are selling, and property developers are more interested in the cost of parts than their suitability for the application.

Building control won't be interested the problem. Their job is to stop the building falling down, blowing up or catching fire. Nothing do with the practicalities of actually using the services.

Four plumbers have been in of all ages and experience and I have to assume they have checked out the simplest causes first. As far as I recall they all said it was not the taps and at one point we had the taps replaced just in case. One of these people was friend of a friend and would not have been looking to up the cost of the solution so I think the taps have been ruled out however if anyone qualified on this forum living in Essex thinks they can definitely solve this maybe you can get in touch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back