Is there always a pan connector between pan and soil pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I employed a small builder to refit my loft cloakroom. He refitted the lavatory after lifting to tile the floor. The join between the pan and the soil pipe is wet ( not gushing as we're not yet using the loo) He's coming back today to finish installing accessories.

Should there always be a pan connector between the pan and the soil pipe? It looks as if he has just pushed the Pan into a pipe.

How can I check that it has been done properly before he goes? What should I look for please ( apart from no puddle!)

Also - he has installed a new hand basin - bit instead of offering it straight to the newly tiled wall ( as was done recently by another plumber in my shower room and in the bathroom) he has introduced some sort of wooden batten. This means that the basin sits well proud of the wall behind and that distance between the wall and the left hand side of the basin is far greater than the distance between the wall and the right hand side. What's the easiest way to get the sorted as it looks squint and by no means matches the finish of the other rooms despite same china.

Appreciate quick rplies as he'll soon be here - I hope

Sponsored Links
Hi Helen,

Yes there is a pan connector,but, it may still be lodged in the soil pipe.Piccys would help to ascertain also why he put a batten on the wall.
I don't suppose he did it for the hell of it?

distance between the wall and the left hand side of the basin is far greater than the distance between the wall and the right hand side

That sounds odd in the least. Even if a batten added if the batten is the same thickness then the gap should be the same. Besides - it is his job to ensure the gap is the same however he chooses to do it.

How is the batten fitted to the tiles? Maybe he Sikaflexed or Gripfixed (stuck) the batten and will now screw the basin to the batten? I personally wouldn't do this because the batten would create a bigger gap than I would like.

Sponsored Links
I employed a small builder to refit my loft cloakroom.

If you asked a plumber to build a garage it would probably end up looking like your cloakroom. :(

Just tell him to seal the pan connector up if it is leaking, is it one of the new or old ones? Is it flexible with 2 big rubbers on each end? Because they shouldn't really need any sealant.

If it persists and he hasn't sealed it go down to your local DIY and buy some silicone sealant, go for the dearer stuff because the cheap stuff is just.. cheap and rubbish.

Shouldn't need sealant... using sealant is bodging something that must be wrong.

Thanks for all your replies and advice. Everything now resolved and looking good after a bit of re-work. ( and I guess small builder was wrong description for tradesman who is primarily a plumber but did the rest of the refit as well) and previous plumber now working in a different part of the country!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back