Is there an issue with this install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wired an outside light for a mate

I wired it directly to a plugtop

I usually clip the wire to the skirting, however this time I couldn't due to obstructions (tall heavy drawers etc)

From a safety/regulatory standpoint, is it a must to clip the cable to the wall/skirting? Or can my mate just use the light as is, with the dangling cable wire?

Sponsored Links
Often it is OK, the rules simple talk about be protected against damage either from things hitting the cable or weight of the cable, with my caravan I plug in 25 meters of flex with nothing between in and the supply socket.

Sponsored Links
They do just use "plug" for a couple of different products at the bottom of the page. However, I really don't see why you think that they "realised their error" - since if they had 'realised' something that they felt needed to be changed, they would surely have changed it, wouldn't they.

It's obviously just my opinion, but .... there are and/or have been people her who presumably present the PTBs with a dilemma -since, although they have frequently posted annoying, irritating and unhelpful material, they have at other times contributed valuable posts. In the case of yourself, I struggle to find anything like enough 'value' to balance the annoyance you cause.

Most of us knew what he meant. As you have stated, the top of the plug has no connections, so it was bleedin obvious to us that he didn't connect to that.
Yes, but as you realise, there is one person who delights in pointing out any minute error. This, it seems, disrupts her (or his) view of their perfect World. We hope that their ability to remain here will be limited, or removed. We live in hope.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back