Is there such a thing as a bag to store a ladder in ? !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our huge extending ladder has been lying alongside our stairs for ages and we'd like to make more room by keeping it outside.
Is there such a thing as a ladder bag? Something waterproof and long, that it would be zipped into. so we could put it in the garden?

Sponsored Links
If its aluminium just leave it out in the garden

put a padlock and chain round it, then if you must stick a tarp on it

Thanks for your replies,

It's a lovely wooden ladder, rather an old one but in good condition, that has aluminium bits on the steps. It might deteriorate rather, being mainly wood, I fear. Our shed is too small and we can't get a bigger shed because our garden is so tiny!!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Breezer
I think the tarp option might be the only one, seeing as it's so large.

Wooden ladders should not be kept bone dry. They shrink and the rungs can become loose. This leads to side sway when you climb the ladder and can cause it to become brittle and snap. :eek:

Wooden ladders should not be kept bone dry. They shrink and the rungs can become loose. This leads to side sway when you climb the ladder and can cause it to become brittle and snap. :eek:

HI Robbie
I hadn't thought of that, funnily enough, though I am well aware of the detrimental effect of central heating on wooden furniture.
We certainly don't want a perilous ladder, especially as my other half is frequently perched on it at gutter level.
I shall be glad to be rid of the thing as it's been taking up too much room on the stair for the last 15 years.

Treat it with preservative, this will help it last a lot longer.

f you can & are willing to, get some ladder brackets & use good rawlbolts to secure it well. If its just left outside unsecured it is likely walk away one evening & be used to help mr robber enter either your house or someone elses.

If you attach it to the wall vertically & its near an upstairs window, get a scaffold plank, make a bracket so it can be hung via the top & another so it can be locked at the bottom, to prevent anyone climbing up it.

I have my really old & really heavy wooden ladder outside too, its wrapped in a big blue tarp, vertical leant up against some high decking & locked to it with a bike chain. I wont be surprised if it has disappeared.

Once I have finished with the jobs I intend to do with it this year I shall put it back on Freecycle (where I got it) and get myself a decent aluminium one instead (only about £130) as its easier to manouver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back