Is there such a thing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps

Is there such a thing as a wifi input status monitor?

I'd like a device that will connect to my wifi network and allow me to see the status of various inputs so I can remotley monitor if my garage door is accidentally left open for example via a mobile app.

There are inexpensive wifi thermostats on the market that allow me to control my central heating and monitor the house temprature and I'm sure there msut be a devce out there that does what I want it to do but I don't know what to Google!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
door contact will monitor the door being open or closed.

Many wireless devices out there, as for price, it depends on what you need to achieve.

door contact will monitor the door being open or closed.

Many wireless devices out there, as for price, it depends on what you need to achieve.
Thanks that’s great, the problem is how do I get the input of whatever device I use onto my mobile so I can monitor the status?

you have to find a suitable device/ system.

for example if you used an alarm system like texecom elite just to monitor a garage door it could be a bit expensive.

however you need to look at app based systems that can take the input from the door contact and send a notification when opened and closed and when you log into the app it shows the status.

but search google with terms like app based monitoring for door open close.

I did a quick search for app based door contact and came up with this :-

not really designed for roller shutter or up and over door, but may give you and idea of where to start.

Sponsored Links
This really may be of no interest to you, but for an electronics hobbyist, there are some wonderful little modules available - ESP8266 (ESP-12F) development boards are a system-on-a-chip device, with plenty of IO's for sensors, and have built in WiFi.
There's also enough memory on board to act as a tiny web server for control and reporting of the IO.
It is definitely not an off the shelf solution, and will require effort to build and programme, but the opportunities for bespoke solutions are vast, and they are available for only a couple of pound each.

This really may be of no interest to you, but for an electronics hobbyist, there are some wonderful little modules available - ESP8266 (ESP-12F) development boards are a system-on-a-chip device, with plenty of IO's for sensors, and have built in WiFi.
There's also enough memory on board to act as a tiny web server for control and reporting of the IO.
It is definitely not an off the shelf solution, and will require effort to build and programme, but the opportunities for bespoke solutions are vast, and they are available for only a couple of pound each.
Thanks that is actually very interesting, I have done a little of bit of work with Arduino in the past and in the longer term this would be a great solution.
Meantime I found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15543273...yamiQlTRwa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I’m thinking of using one to monitor and control the garage door and another to monitor the set/unset output of my office alarm (Texecom R8 plus) and even use the door opener output to switch a spare zone configured as key so I can remotely set and unset the alarm as well. Cheap alternative to upgrading the panel! Thanks!!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks that’s great, the problem is how do I get the input of whatever device I use onto my mobile so I can monitor the status?
Perhaps over the top for one sensor but Home Assistant has an android/ios app and allows you to easily do notifications based on whatever sensors it can see which can include esphome/esp or zigbee depending on what sensors you want to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back