Is there such thing as a reasonable quote?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a 11 years old powermax in my flat and the repair is starting to add up so I started the process of getting quotation for a replacement.
The current flu is concealed in the ceiling and about 4 m from the external wall. The suggestion from most guys is to put new flu through an internal wall and kitchen cupboards, along the kitchen wall exposed and connect to the external wall.

The issue now is the cost. Having different people come round and I have quote anywhere from 4.4K to 2.4K. I don't want to sell my kidney and liver for a boiler but equally I don't want to have it fitted poorly to save a few hundreds that leave me with many problem down the line.

How can I tell what sort of price range is 'reasonable'?

Sponsored Links
Concealed flue is now classed as Immediately Dangerous.

I am surprised that fact has not come into your assessment of the situation!

Boiler should be turned off and not used until remedial works have been done!

Tony

Do any of the installers who have quoted come recommended? What detail have they given for the work they're proposing to carry out?

I have inspection hatches as well as carbon monoxide detector. but that is a reason why I try to replace existing boiler.
no none of the installers came recommended but I just searched them up on the internet with decent reviews.
The detail that most seems to propose is to remove the existing boiler, chemical flush the system, install new boiler and put in new flue which go through 2 internal wall (while passing some empty kitchen cupboard) and extend around 4 m to the external wall. They seems to say they will also fit in a filter and offer good few years of warranty.

Sponsored Links
Concealed flue is now classed as Immediately Dangerous.

I am surprised that fact has not come into your assessment of the situation!

Boiler should be turned off and not used until remedial works have been done!

Tony
I think you will find classification is AT RISK.
How many appliances have you isolated and deemed as ID?

If you have inspection hatches then the flue joints are no longer concealed and meet the requirements.

Its difficult to compare different quotes unless for exactly the same installation.

Sounds as if you have found them on a review site like Rated People.

Generally the pros here don't think much of those sites because we have to pay to quote there and that implies they are short of work.

Tony

Are you saying FIV with no inspection hatches fitted is classified as ID Tony??

oh and also they will fit a thermostat and wireless controller. Didn't realize you need to pay to be posted. bit of an eye opener that one. But I went on boiler company and looked for accredited installer and then look for their review

Hey Tony , you hound others on here for not replying to your questions but feel yourself to be exempt..

What sort of boiler and equipment are they offering to install. You should be able to work out the retail prices for most of the parts, and then decide if the time to install everything is justified. Try talking to you're neighbours, workmates etc, and see who they use, but definitely get a few more quotes. You never know if the reviews on the internet are just mates that have posted bits for a favour. Having said that, if the installer come from the boiler manufacturers, then they should have a bit more credibility, but not always.

Is it a system boiler, or a combi. An can all the pipework be rerouted to get you to an outside wall.

@hayhayc without seeing the wording of the various quotes it's hard to compare really. Some might just be doing a "chemical flush" while others do a "powerflush", the latter taking longer and being more effective. The choice of boiler will also make a difference to the price.

RatedPeople/Checkatrade et al are all commercial organisations funded by the tradesmen who are on them, and so have a huge desire to keep those tradesmen happy. Thus, if a bad review is reported by a tradesman as malicious, it can be removed... recommendations from friends and neighbours are the best way to go, and if www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk is operating in your area that's worth a look as it's run by Trading Standards, who are very much on your side rather than the tradesman's side

FWIW I'd be recommending replacing your Powermax with an Intergas Eco RF 24 or 30 (depending on your mains water flow rate) with 10-year warranty

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back