Is there such thing as a reasonable quote?

Sponsored Links
So they suggested a Worcester combi 32cdi with comfort 2 controller. From what I found online it's around £1200+200 for the two. The rest will be installation fee and for the flue?

Yes.

There will be no pipework, fittings, chemicals, dirt filter, brackets, cement mortar. If you think you understand the business model, become Gas Safe Registered and make the fortune you think we are making.

Like most businesses, profit is hard won and the tradesman cutting corners with a mobile only number is usually the cheapest. Just remember that most boiler manufacturers will tell you that 80% of repair callouts in the first 24 months are installation related defects. And even a simple thing like a radiator valve can cost £1 or £11, depending on whether a reputable brand is chosen. Similarly a central heating domestic bypass can be procured for £8 or £30. If you haven't been told which type are being fitted, you can reasonably assume it will be a nasty cheap unbranded item.

And then we come down to system cleansing - the main arbitrator of future boiler life and reliability. Most customers don't give a damn about this at the quote/price stage. 2-3 years down the line they notice the boiler cycling, overheating, hot water becoming intermittent, radiators not heating up, rad valves sticking.

All thoughts of quotes being 'fair' then seem pointless.

Bear in mind that quotes are an offer from a tradesman to do your job. They spend 2 hrs of their time coming to see you, in the knowledge that they are competing against others, also turning up for free.
If you were doing the quote, needing the work to pay your living;

- would you 'go in cheap', not powerflushing, fitting cheapo rad valves and fittings
- or would you 'do the right thing' and specify decent known components, powerflush the system etc and charge the extra time and material cost,

and risk losing the job, and your time spent on the quote visit?

There's the dilemma. Remember, life isn't FAIR. To a consumer, FAIR means CHEAP.

Sponsored Links
Yes.

There will be no pipework, fittings, chemicals, dirt filter, brackets, cement mortar. If you think you understand the business model, become Gas Safe Registered and make the fortune you think we are making.
- would you 'go in cheap', not powerflushing, fitting cheapo rad valves and fittings
- or would you 'do the right thing' and specify decent known components, powerflush the system etc and charge the extra time and material cost,

and risk losing the job, and your time spent on the quote visit?

There's the dilemma. Remember, life isn't FAIR. To a consumer, FAIR means CHEAP.

Thats the very reason why im here asking what is 'reasonable'. If i want it cheap i would have just gone with the 2.4k quote and get it done cheap. Iwant to know roughly what is the norm and I dont mind paying more to get it done properly. With the huge variation in price it makes me find it very hard for someone like me with no experience in this field to know who is going to put in cheaps part or who is trying to charge me OTT.

You're not giving us much to go on to be fair.

Can you post up anonymised versions of these quotes? Preferably pictures rather than your typing.

4803_7x18_TheBitternessOfPoorQuality_PUTTY_BLK__39348.1357760788.600.600.jpg

This is copy and pasted from one of the quotes.

Supply and fit new Worcester 32 CDI compact Combi Boiler with programmable room stat. Flu to be run through existing kitchen and terminate through external wall.
Remove and dispose of existing powermax storage boiler.
Alter existing pipework to suit new combi boiler.

Chemically flush heating system and add inhibitor. Commission upon completion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back