Is there such thing as curved downpipe?

Sponsored Links
Iv'e got a thatched roof which has no gutters, which is normal with thatched roofs, and the water from this runs down the path and into the road.

Iv'e got a thatched roof which has no gutters, which is normal with thatched roofs, and the water from this runs down the path and into the road.
But, I guess, you property has been like that for the last 100 years or so! Latest BR's (since last year) require any modifications you make to your property also provide a self contained means of containing your surface water (usually soak away) or you must apply for planning permission. You can’t divert your surface water into a foul drain & then into the public sewer system (unless there is no other option) without permission or allow it to drain onto the public highway, which amounts to the same thing really.

I can see the logic, during heavy rainfall the street sewers on my road can't cope.

Sponsored Links
Richard,
I am thinking of building an extension on this year. Is this a modification that will affect the way that the rainwater is disposed of. Also there a few new houses going up with thatchs round here that are close to the road. I wonder how they are dealing with it.
Stuart

I can see the logic, during heavy rainfall the street sewers on my road can't cope.
Exactly; caused by lack of investment from our government(s) & (now) privately owned water authorities on a mostly ancient & increasingly overloaded drainage infrastructure which can no longer cope with the ever increasing density of housing development!

Amazingly I can remember someone was actually prosecuted for diverting & storing natural rainfall for their own personal use. This was back in the 70's/80’s droughts when many river beds dried up completely & the proven case was that they were stealing a resource that, through natural drainage, would eventually become an asset of the water company. Admittedly, they were refusing to pay water rates (they didn’t need to!) which may have had something to do with the case going to court but, conversely, we could now probably be prosecuted for making sure they get all of it!

Amazingly I can remember someone was actually prosecuted for diverting & storing natural rainfall for their own personal use. This was back in the 70's/80’s droughts when many river beds dried up completely & the proven case was that they were stealing a resource that, through natural drainage, would eventually become an asset of the water company. Admittedly, they were refusing to pay water rates (they didn’t need to!) which may have had something to do with the case going to court but, conversely, we could now probably be prosecuted for making sure they get all of it!

That reminds me of the privatisation of the water supply in Cochabamba in 2000 and the riots that followed. Which raises the (ethical?) question of whether anyone should really be able to lay claim to ownership of rainwater.

Richard,
I am thinking of building an extension on this year. Is this a modification that will affect the way that the rainwater is disposed of. Also there a few new houses going up with thatchs round here that are close to the road. I wonder how they are dealing with it.
Stuart
The new regulations are primarily concerned with paving over of front gardens & new driveways which causes increased drain off onto the highway thus overloading surface water drainage systems. I’m not conversant with the regs. but would guess they have been drafted such that if you are proposing any works that could result in excessive surface water run off from your property onto the public highway then you will have to make provision to contain it.

In reality, it’s no big deal for a conventional extension but if your surface water currently discharges into the public surface or foul drainage system, local bylaws may mean you are not be permitted to make additional connections but you need to phone your LABC & check. If not allowed, all you need to do is provide soak-always to accommodate your surface water drainage; B Regs already define requirements. Not sure how it will affect “new” houses with thatched roofs close to the road; not many of those nowadays I would think! Perhaps the LABC have made a concession for getting some lovely new “old” thatch properties, maybe they will have French/Dutch drains or maybe Marley have been commissioned to make a nice, straw colour thatch pattern plastic gutter, who knows; if in doubt phone LABC!

An update!

It's just been raining – and I went outside to check the house's rear downpipe – what is coming out is nothing more than a trickle! Meanwhile, torrents were spilling over in the usual location. So I guess there is a blockage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back