Is there such thing as curved downpipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just wondering if it's possible to get a curved (or curvable) rainwater downpipe? This is because I am looking into bringing a downpipe across the house to meet an existing drain – but the wall that it must cross has a bay.

Also, does downpipe have to be angled towards the ground (as opposed to having horizontal sections), I'm guessing it does as it's gravity fed?

Sponsored Links
is moving or adding a drain directly below the outlet not an option?

Adding a drain would mean digging up 6 metres of flowerbeds to lay pipe, large shrubs in the way, which is why I thought running downpipe across the house would be less disruptive.

Sponsored Links
The only problem with long offsets is that you are more likely to get blockages and they can look a bit of a bodge.

Why not just dig out a new soakaway & run directly into that; the other downpipe probably runs into a soak away in any case!

Actually I think it's a proper drain, the bath wastewater also runs into it...

Perhaps a soakaway would work – although still a fair bit of digging to get it 5 metres away. Also not sure if the soil is good as it's London clay type of thing...

Why not just dig out a new soakaway & run directly into that; the other downpipe probably runs into a soak away in any case!

Why can't you just move the downpipe over to meet the drain?

Perhaps a drawing will help:

View media item 8126
The point where the red X is is where the gutter overflows during rain. This is above a very narrow alley next to a party wall. There are no other downpipes/drains on this side. Notice that there is already a downpipe serving the back of the house into the existing drain (the green line on the drawing), but it's not adequate...

Are you sure the existing gutters are not blocked & have enough fall? Another way of doing it would be to install a new underground drianage pipe or a surface channel drain from the new down pipe around the edge of the patio, into a new back inlet gulley on into the existing drain; or possibly into a Dutch drain at the front edge of the patio. It all depends on the lie of the ground & getting sufficient fall but there are lots of ways to skin the proverbial cat if you think about it! ;)

I'd be inclined to adjust the section of gutter above the patio to create a greater fall to the existing downpipe

Richard – I think the gutter is sound. What does a surface channel drain look like/how constructed? The perimeter of the patio is a flower bed so any solution would need to accomodate plants/nature etc.

Woody – Thanks, that's a good suggestion.

BTW, is it legal to drain rainwater down your driveway into the road – as that's a possibility too!

What does a surface channel drain look like/how constructed? The perimeter of the patio is a flower bed so any solution would need to accomodate plants/nature etc.

Surface channel drain;
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/95012...nnel-Grate;jsessionid=KAVRFN42SDTNGCSTHZOSFFA

Dutch (French?) drain
http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/garden-build/frenchdrain/

BTW, is it legal to drain rainwater down your driveway into the road – as that's a possibility too!
Covering of driveways now comes under Building Regulations & prohibit what you propose so it would be in breach of BR’s &, possibly, a local bye law if they have got one yet!

You could collect it and use it to water your plants.

No way would that be practical to dispose of even with a modest sized water butt - I did the maths. The section of roof to be served by the proposed downpipe is 50m2, and if we take London's average monthly rainfall in 2003, which is 35mm (from metoffice), that would mean 1750l of water collected per month. :eek:

Maybe if I buy some more plants...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back