Is this a bodge job?

get someone to hold a lump of 4x2 or bigger against the internal wall and let the drill hit that
... provided one's aim is good enough! I once saw someone who had suffered quite a nasty injury when trying to do something like that, but the drill missed the bit of wood he was holding, and got him instead!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
True, but youd only do it with someone with some sense, not that youd want it to, but id imagine a masonry bits not to bad if it hits you gently,at very low pressure, if it did miss the wood, which is unlikely with a measuring reference point like a doorway, youd pull back as soon as you feel it break through, your more likely to suffer a burn , and you dont steam through, I would turn the drill hammer off near the end still, the wood would just be a back up.
theres at least 3 houses down here where sky have blasted through from inside, and took off half the rendering.
I see your point though, I would never condone doing it with an auger bit or something sharp.
Its surprising sometimes , what can happen sometimes when people get hold of tools

ASSUMING it's a cavity wall, with a bit of careful measuring, one can drill a hole from the outside into the cavity. Then drill a hole from the inside to the cavity. Then poke a fold-out coat hanger through both holes, then tie cable onto hanger and pull through.

If you want to do surface wiring outside still, just neat cable clipping would be an improvement.

Sponsored Links
Virgin Media fitters are just as guilty (as are others no doubt).

The BT (Openreach) man who fitted a new telephone cable to my house, for example.

You would think when you've done it enough times, and damaged enough brickwork, that you might have a rethink.....

True, but youd only do it with someone with some sense, not that youd want it to, but id imagine a masonry bits not to bad if it hits you gently,at very low pressure, if it did miss the wood, which is unlikely with a measuring reference point like a doorway, youd pull back as soon as you feel it break through, your more likely to suffer a burn , and you dont steam through, I would turn the drill hammer off near the end still, the wood would just be a back up.
I can't disagree with any of that. As you say, given some common sense, there should not be a major risk.

The incident I mentioned occurred a very long time ago and I only saw the (fairly serious) resultant injury, being reliant on the victim's description of how it had occurred. It was so long ago that it probably pre-dated the time when hammer drills (let alone SDS ones) were common (if they existed at all!), so it's quite possible that someone was 'leaning' on a non-hammer drill!

Kind Regards, John

You would think when you've done it enough times, and damaged enough brickwork, that you might have a rethink.....
Why ? They've got the job done, and unless people complain and they start getting hassle from their manglement then there's no incentive for them to do better. Bear in mind that they are under pressure to get through an unreasonable number of calls, they just don't have time to do the sort of job most of us would do if doing it ourselves.

Virgin Media fitters are just as guilty (as are others no doubt).

I ordered Virgin media and agreed a installation date, the arrived a day early, when i was out, and attempted to install the cabling, damaging the ceiling in the communal hallway while installing mini trunking. They had used mastic to try and cover the damage, they also drilled into my flat without knowing what was on the other side of the wall and just missed the gas main. Needless to say, i cancelled the contract.

Freeview :)

DS

Why ? They've got the job done, and unless people complain and they start getting hassle from their manglement then there's no incentive for them to do better. Bear in mind that they are under pressure to get through an unreasonable number of calls, they just don't have time to do the sort of job most of us would do if doing it ourselves.

Pride in your work?

I hear what you are saying about time pressure but in most cases it would be as easy to do it right as do it wrong.

Virgin Mediocre burst 2 bricks doing my installation. That's why they have those massive plastic cable entry covers to stick to the wall.

Yes, if you drill all the way through mortar (either way around), you certainly won't damage bricks, but the hole would then be horizontal, which you don't really want.

Kind Regards, John
I guess so, though the cable exit will be inside the light outside so certainly a degree of protection against water ingress and add a small amount of silicon then this shouldn't be an issue?

I guess so, though the cable exit will be inside the light outside so certainly a degree of protection against water ingress and add a small amount of silicon then this shouldn't be an issue?
Yes, that will all help, but the 'best practice' is nevertheless to have a bit of a gradient to the hole.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back