Is this a fair price

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mate of mine has asked me to install a dishwasher into a utility room next to his kitchen. There is no plumbing in that room. So i will need to run pipework from the kitchen cold mains, through the wall into the utility room. I then need to connect this up to the dishwasher. The I will need to go through the wall, install a waste upstand and out into the outside drainage.

I'm looking at charging £120 for this job (pipework and fittings, waste fittings etc included). Is this a fair price?

Note: just to add, i've called several local plumbers and got 5 estimates.

1) £450

2) £300

3) £270

4) £250

5) £150

Why such variation in the prices?

Sponsored Links
Why such variation in the prices?

Er, because they are estimates.....ie they have no idea what they are quoting on site unseen.

As for your original question it's your call......what do you think your time is worth??

If he`s a mate, do it for Mates Rates, usually £1.00 per hour.

materials not going to come to much.
say it takes you 1 1/2 hours, and his a friend.
don't seem bad not knowing how long a run and access.

can't see how any of them can give quotes like that and over the phone.

Sponsored Links
family just as bad think your running a charity shop.
my brother-in-law does thick tw*t.

lol true, this same mate wanted me to install a new siphon into his toilet for £10! So have to empty it, drain the rest out, disconnect from wall, disconnect pipework, take toilet apart, remove old siphon, install new one, put toilet back together, reconnect pipework.....for ten friggin quid??!! AAAGGHHH!!!!

and they'll be the first to backstab you if they get a leak and want to claim. they can f*k off.

do his syphon for a tenner and double the price of the dw install.

lol how much would you charge to change a Siphon?

i take the cost of materials add 20% guess how many hours and 1 or 2 for safety(incase water main passes or the wall is a bugger to go through

If he`s a mate, do it for Mates Rates, usually £1.00 per hour.
You must allow for inflation, and drastic devaluation of the pound.
Going mates' rate these days is at least 1 pint an hour, not 1 pound an hour.

When I was doing privates @ the weekend as an apprentice...it was 4 pints an hour :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back