New Extension Drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am in the process of building a new extension and will be fast approaching the time when i need to sort out the drainage. There already will be a soakaway for the rain water, what i am talking about here is the waste feeds from the utility room (sink and washing machine) and kitchen (sink and dishwasher).

This extension is rather large 6m x 6m and the kitchen wastes and the utility wastes will be on either end of the same wall.

There is a selection of drains that could be tapped into etc.

My question here my plumber wants me to speak to the building inspector people and ask a few questions which i do not really understand.

1. Does it need to go into a tumbler or go straight into the bottom of the manhole. Not too sure what this means.
2. Would they want a sub stack or just a gully. Not too sure what this is either.

Anyone know what these are?

Lee

Sponsored Links
Tumbler or Backdrop is used where a shallow sewer is required to connect to a deep manhole. The incoming flow needs to enter the manhole at the depth of the existing channel, to avoid splashback and build up of detritus. Rather than lay the drain a lot deeper than it needs to be, the pipe is run to the chamber at an appropriate depth, then either just outside, (or inside the chamber if there is enough room), a junction is fitted to direct the flow downwards to the channel, and also provide rodding access back along the drain run.

Wastes from the sinks and other appliances can either discharge into an open gulley, or be connected to a stub stack. Stub stack is basically a short section of 110mm pipework, sticking up above the floor or ground, (can be internal or external, if internal it can be hidden inside a cupboard for aesthetics if required), terminated with either a screw on cap or an air admittance valve (AAV). Wastes then connect directly to this stub stack.

Art was never my strong point, but hopefully gives you the gist.

Backdrop sketch001.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back