new kitchen waste drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new kitchen is behind this wall and I need to add drainage for a sink & dishwasher. I wonder if anyone has suggestions for an effective way to do it.

outside_wall_small_lines.jpg

There are 2 rooms behind this wall. To left, a utility room with existing drainage (as seen). To right, the new kitchen with no drainage. The green line shows location of wall between 2 rooms. The sink and dishwasher will be along this wall about 2m in. There's a slight fall in ground level which can be seen in the photo. 3 wheeliebins normally stand here. The grating is on a bottly gully which I think is an Osma 4D900 and it isn't very deep. It drains out to the left and probably under that gate post.

I'm not really experienced enough to know what best solution is. I'm thinking of having a waste pipe descend where the blue line is, and going under the patio slabs to a back inlet on the exisiting bottle gully. I think I'd need to lower the gully for this to work though.

Does that sound alright? or perhaps there's a better way?

Sponsored Links
Why not run the waste above ground to discharge into the gully, that might not be permitted for new builds but the gully is already there. There should be enough height for the required fall which looks to be about 4 metres in total.

Blup

Keep it simple! Go through the wall with your waste pipe at an appropriate point, then just let it slope down to the gully. Fit a Bend or 2 as required at the end to allow the pipe to go through the grating to discharge. (Above the water level.)

OK thank you. That's 2 votes for simple and above ground so I'll forget about digging up the patio slabs.

I could actually run the pipe on the inside of the house and join up with the existing waste pipe. The run would be:

Dishwasher & kitchen sink -> 1.5m -> 90 bend, through wall -> 1.3m -> Tee, utility sink & washing machine -> 0.7m -> 90 bend through exterior wall to gully.

That's a total of about 3.7m, mostly behind kitchen cabinets. Is that a possibility? (is it possible in 40mm pipe?)

Sponsored Links
Yes, can be done but upsize the pipe to 50mm from when you pick up the Utility Room sink and Washing machine, out to the drain. Use swept bends rather than the 90's, and fit cleaning eyes as required for future maintenance.

Just remember waste pipes within a house can look uglier than outside, unless appropriately hidden/boxed in.

Blup

great, thanks for comments. Details of bends and pipe size are much appreciated.

Pipes will all be behind kitchen cabinets. There will need to be enough space for a washing machine, so I'll arrange for deeper worktop.

many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back