Is this a good patio base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick one, I'm currently smashing through old concrete then digging out a spade depth of clay to lower the area at the back of the house, then will lay a patio.

Under the old concrete is old smashed slabs and a load of small stuff right down to dust.
I also have a pile of smashed up bricks and rubble which I kept (previously filled 4 skips with rubble and soil)

One photo shows an area dug out, the other shows a test hardcore layer.

I'd appreciate honest opinions if this would be good enough or should I chuck all this and get bags of MOT type 1. If this is good enough I'm happy to put in some more hard graft and smash up the bits smaller.

Just need some pointers if I'm ok using this and if it'll be sound enough.

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Sponsored Links
I used broken bricks in part of the patio, and hoggin when the bricks ran out. Both are fine after 15 years. Good compaction and minimising voids is essential, yours looks fine to me as a Diyer

Blup

Agree with Blup - buy plenty sharp sand to fill the voids after putting the rubble down and compact well - should be fine assuming no vehicular traffic

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback! I’ll make sure I fill the voids :)
Just foot traffic halitosis so all good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back