Is this a normal method if fixing skirting with these???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just had a nightmare of a time trying to remove two bits of skirting board from a plasterboard wall.
They were fastened with massive floor board nails.

After much swearing I got them off in the end but with one of the skirts i had to resort to sliding a hacksaw blade behind the wall and cutting the majority of the nails to avoid doing too much damage to the wall with the pry bar i was using.

Any way the question i wanted to ask, is it normal practice to fasten skirting with these things?
It seems like over kill and whoever did it didn't want the skirts to be removed with out taking half the wall with them!

Ill just be refitting them with a nail gun an maybe some grab adhesive

Sponsored Links
Yes it's normal to use them. And normal for half the wall to come off if you try to lever them out.

They are cut nails - some chippies love them, loads still used but not for flooring for a few decades now.

Yes it's normal to use them. And normal for half the wall to come off if you try to lever them out.

Is there any other way of removing them as opposed to levering them out?
I reckon ill have to do this again when i start working on other rooms

Sponsored Links
I thought the OP's problem was getting the nails out of the wall not the skirting.

It's often best to lever the skirting so the nails pop through and stay in the wall, and then deal with those - by hammering them over.

It's often best to lever the skirting so the nails pop through and stay in the wall, and then deal with those - by hammering them over.
If they were just in the wall he could lever them out. Never hammer over nails if you have the option of removing them completely.

I thought the OP's problem was getting the nails out of the wall not the skirting.

If the nails are stuck in the wall, you can fatigue them by hammering them from side to side until they snap.

roboughton, those nails were made by a black smith, pre 1800? Notice how the thin end is hammered .
I was once called in to help with a wobbley skirting board in a Georgian lime stone house. Big wedges were hammered into the lime mortar and the skirting nailed on. It would have been OK if the wedges did not stick out from the plaster line. I improved things a bit, but about 6m of the skirting would have needed pulling of, a dozen or so wedges would needed to be removed or machined down to get their lengths the same. You guys who just deal with brick built houses don''t know you'r born. When I was a lad. . . . .
Frank

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back