Is this a normal method if fixing skirting with these???

I thought the OP's problem was getting the nails out of the wall not the skirting.

correct woody.

Once the skirting is off the wall its not a problem... the are easy to remove.
Its getting them off the wall in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why is it a "bodge"?
Every bent/hidden nail is a boobytrap waiting from the next poor sod who wants to nail/screw/saw/file/sand into the thing that's full of nails. In this case it may be wall behind a skirting board, but you never know what work may be done in the future. If you have the perfect opportunity to remove nails, you should always do so. Leave the material as virgin as you can for the next guy (which may be you). It's just good practice.

Be kind. Rewind.

A bent nail behind skirting board is a booby trap? :rolleyes:
Yes. The mentality of "out of sight, out of mind", and "do the minimum necessary to get the job done today; don't worry about the future" is common among jobbing builders, rather than craftsmen.

Then he has even less excuse to cut corners! He has the time, and the personal investment in the fabric of the property. :D

LOL at personal investment for a nail

Just because one has the time, does not mean it needs to be wasted on pointless tasks

The OP is a DIYer though.

Diy'er or not I agree with gerry on this one.

Ive lost count of the number of times ive had to invest lots of extra time and effort to sort out some else's 'shortcut' before I can get on with a job proper.

I appreciate tradesmen have to get stuff done fast. But that sometimes means the next person working on or in that area has an unexpected amout of extra work. (I guess folk are of the opinion once they complete a job and leave the site, the jobs a good 'un)

Anyway ive always tried to make my jobs as future proof as possible.

If anyone can tell me one "future" problem that bending a 1/8 clasp nail over, behind a bit of skirting, then I'd love to hear it and will include it in my memoirs.

An actual problem though, not some obscure 'might-do' with lottery winning odds.

If anyone can tell me one "future" problem that bending a 1/8 clasp nail over, behind a bit of skirting, then I'd love to hear it .
Off the top of my head, someone wants to saw a hole through the wall for a waste pipe, or cut an aperture for a new door, or chase a cable.

I don't understand your resistance to the idea. You already have the claw hammer in your hand, how hard is it to lever rather than hammer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back