Is this a rodding point and how to properly cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey
I moved into a new house last year and we discovered slabs in the garden covering what looks like open pipes going down at an angle (maybe 45 degrees) towards an extension.

We think these are rodding points (there are two on opposite sides of the extension) and would like to have them properly covered so we can lay lawn. Have been let down by noShow tradesmen too many times so it looks like we’ll have to try this ourselves.

questions:
Are they any regulations to be aware of
And how should we actually cover it. I’ve seen rodding point covers in screw fix https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast...Mc5dcwNY0jDiM6p8O7YaAjABEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds etc that just fit into the pipe but what then? Do we fill in around it with dirt and stones or do we need to cement it?

Sponsored Links
Wooden floors in the house? Concrete floor in the extension? ...Could they be air vent pipes?

Post a photo showing a wider view of the location in relation to the building.

Put an ear on it and get someone to flush the toilet.

The rodding eye you link won’t push into that pipe, look for a Supersleeve one.

Sponsored Links
Wooden floors in the house? Concrete floor in the extension? ...Could they be air vent pipes?
Extension and whole house has very generous crawl space. Somewhere around a metre, so don’t think it’s vent pipes.

Put an ear on it and get someone to flush the toilet.

The rodding eye you link won’t push into that pipe, look for a Supersleeve one.

Thanks, I’ll look for one like that.

We could hear the toilet when we flushed so I’m guessing it is a rodding point.

Toolstation have an aluminium rodding point 110mm. Then a Flexseal coupling to the clay pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back