Mini inspection chamber vs Rodding Point...

30 Dec 2016
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Currently in the early stages of sorting out a side extension and I would like some clarification with regards to an outside inspection chamber.

I have a mini inspection chamber which will be covered by block and beam flooring for the new extension. The chamber is connected to our middle floor bathroom waste and ground floor kitchen waste pipes which are all boxed in internally. Single pipe entering and exiting the chamber.

I understand I need to keep some sort of access to this and I have no other suitable place that is can be moved to.

I was curious as to if it was deemed OK with building regulations to replace the inspection chamber with a straight through pipe and install a rodding access point at the bottom of the internal soil pipe with an access cover on the internal wall to this point?

I am aware I can get an internal inspection cover but I would prefer to avoid unsightly cuts the flooring we have planned in the new living space.

Thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored Links
I'm not sure on the regs but plain pipe would be better than your existing chamber.

Is there any access further downstream?

If you were blocked and I came to unblock it I'd prefer to jet from up from an external manhole rather than do anything down from an access on your SVP.
I would want to see the layout of the drains to demonstrate the access to rod them. An access pipe on the base of a stack for the purpose of rodding needs to be used in conjuction with a roddable sweep bend at the bottom. Best to have a quick chat with your BC officer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links