Is this allowed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the living room of my new flat I want to add some new socket outlets and a new TV outlet along a wall. The wall is brick and external.

Is what I propose allowed? The wall is around 5m long with the only existing socket at one end under a window.

The FCU is for feeding an electric radiator.

The only problem I can see is feeding T&E through a TV outlet backbox. However it will not be terminated in there, just running through.

Colin C

Sponsored Links
Just read my OSG. Part 7.4.2 would suggest that I cannot do this (referencing Reg 528.2).

How can I get around this then?

Colin C

Put the T+E inside conduit inside the TV backbox.

EDIT: I'd spelt it "c u n d u i t". Blimey, what a sensitive censor, good job I didn't write ****duit.

Sponsored Links
If this is going to be a spur, not part of the ring, you'll need to fuse it to begin with.

Also, I'd strongly suggest placing the TV outlet below the run and keeping mains cables out of it, except for an earth bond to the box. You really don't want that sort of interference.

Not a spur but part of the ring as I said earlier.

528.1 - That confirms I can't have them in the same backbox.

How about I take the mains conduit over the top of the TV outlet? Running through the back might interfere with the depth of the front plate.

Colin C

As long as you stay within acceptable wiring zones assuming the cable is less than 50mm from the surface.

By looping over a backbox I'm not sure you will be doing if all backboxes are at the same height.

Here's what I am thinking (on top) with what I assume is the ideal solution underneath.

Would the small "Ramps" in the conduit be outside of safe zones? I seriously doubt anyone would be stupid enough to drill there, but you never know!

The bottom drawing is ideal I assume. I would like the avoid this if possible as I don't think it would look right, plus flexes draped over the aerial outlet would be annoying.

Colin C

Would the small "Ramps" in the conduit be outside of safe zones? I seriously doubt anyone would be stupid enough to drill there, but you never know!

To put a dogleg in a piece of 20mm PVC conduit would mean the TV backbox and socket backbox would be a little further apart than the normal.
Other than that, there's probably not a great deal wrong with it.

Seeing as you're intending to supply the cabling to the TV backbox from below, could you not do the same with the sockets?

Thanks for the help. The TV cables will be fed behind the skirting, to avoid going under the floor, as I don't really want to start cutting floorboards and risk dropping a hammer through downstairs' ceiling!

Colin C

Unfortunately if you dogleg the cable arroudn the top of the TV outlet it will be outside the safe zones (only just outside but outside nonetheless)

You could go behind the TV outlet but I don't like cutting into walls any deeper than nessacery.

You could always do it in steel conduit that way safe zones are no longer a concern.

Out of interest, if mains and data cables can share the same chase if they are in different conduits, why can't a mains cable in a conduit go through a TV backbox?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back