Is This Another Dodgy Energy Saving Claim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a statement from Stelrad stating that their 'Eco' radiators save "up to" 10.5% on your energy bills.

Stelrad said:
With higher radiant heat, the feeling of 20°C can be achieved at a lower temperature setting. The Stelrad Eco energy saving radiator’s unique and innovative technology raises comfort levels, and by working more efficiently, it reduces energy bills - with a saving of up to 10.5%.
So as I read it, they are saying that the energy saving comes because you actually have the room at a lower temperature but still feel comfortable because the radiator is emitting more radiant heat.

For example; you like a room temperature of 20 degrees, but now you can set the TRV to 18 degrees and because of the extra radiant heat it feels like 20 degrees. OK so far, but then what happens when the room gets to 18 degrees and the TRV closes the radiator down. When the radiator cools, won't the radiant heat be lost and then it will feel like 18 degrees? :cry:

Is this another dodgy energy saving claim, or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
I was also reading that !

Pretty dodgy really but some element of truth!

They make the front radiator the one the flow starts off in so it is hotter than the average.

The actual radiated power is not gong to be any different from any radiator! They dont paint it matt black!

The radiator like any other radiator is 100% efficient!

But they do have a point about the feel good factor with more radiated heat to the front allowing it to run with slightly less power input to give the same effect so it is a bit questionable but there is some truth in it if you dont read the exact words!

Tony

You can increase the efficiency of any rad by lining the back with silver foil to save wasting heat radiated into an external wall.

Tony

You can increase the efficiency of any rad by lining the back with silver foil to save wasting heat radiated into an external wall.

Tony

On modern convector radiators,really?

Sponsored Links
The makers think that it can pay for itself in a year!

Dont know what it costs but perhaps about £30.

In fact put it on all the rads and you may not pay anything for the first year!

https://youtu.be/pSCoeVCTG2w

Unbranded insulation from B&Q is probably cheaper at only £7 for a 500 mm high roll 5 m long.

That will probably easily pay for itself in a year on an external wall.

Particularly on a solid wall like mine!

Tony

Here's a statement from Stelrad stating that their 'Eco' radiators save "up to" 10.5% on your energy bills.

Stelrad said:
With higher radiant heat, the feeling of 20°C can be achieved at a lower temperature setting. The Stelrad Eco energy saving radiator’s unique and innovative technology raises comfort levels, and by working more efficiently, it reduces energy bills - with a saving of up to 10.5%.
So as I read it, they are saying that the energy saving comes because you actually have the room at a lower temperature but still feel comfortable because the radiator is emitting more radiant heat.

For example; you like a room temperature of 20 degrees, but now you can set the TRV to 18 degrees and because of the extra radiant heat it feels like 20 degrees. OK so far, but then what happens when the room gets to 18 degrees and the TRV closes the radiator down. When the radiator cools, won't the radiant heat be lost and then it will feel like 18 degrees? :cry:

Is this another dodgy energy saving claim, or am I missing something?

A similar statement, about energy savings due to lower air temperatures, features in one of the UFH system design guides; it was produced by BSRIA or some such body and is, I would hope, backed up by research and not a manufacturer's stretching of the facts. I'd go and look it up if I was interested.

The radiant surface with UFH is much larger, I would expect. You could just fit big single panel radiators, rather than double panel convectors with fins welded on the back.

I always fit longer single panel rads where possible as they give evener heating.

Although with fins.

I have a 600 mm high single panel with no fins about 2600 mm and not sure if I should fit it or cut it up!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back