Heating - Energy saving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combi boiler which is used to heat up the water and rediators. It only has a simple on/off switch with nothing else. No timer or thermostat anywhere including radiators.

If i get a main timer/programmer and thermostat valves on the radiators, can this save energy and in turn save on my energy bills.

Also at the minute the radiators (some) need bleeding and only the bottom warms up. Is this wasting energy and again money.

How much is this likely to cost for 9 radiators plus one in bathroom if i get someone in. Am i looking at couple of hundred all in if i buy materials myself.

I going on a money saving mission this year and seem house bills on energy a way to high than what they should be.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If i get a main timer/programmer and thermostat valves on the radiators, can this save energy and in turn save on my energy bills.
Yes; and your house will feel more comfortable.

If you are good at DIY you could do the job yourself.

Do not be tempted to buy cheap products. The Honeywell CM901/907 (wired) or CM921/927 (wireless) programmable thermostats are very good; as are Drayton TRV4 valves.

The programmer can be picked up for about £80 and the TRVs will cost about £10 each. You can buy them new on Ebay.

Don't forget that you should not have a TRV on the radiator nearest the room thermostat.

Also at the minute the radiators (some) need bleeding and only the bottom warms up. Is this wasting energy and again money.
Slightly.

How much is this likely to cost for 9 radiators plus one in bathroom if i get someone in. Am i looking at couple of hundred all in if i buy materials myself.
Sounds reasonable; but some installers will insist on supplying the parts. You also have the knowledge that, if one of the parts is faulty, the installer is responsible for getting and installing a replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back