Warm Front on the way out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just read this in the government's "Comprehensive Spending Review":

DECC will develop innovative ways of working with the private sector, acting as an enabler rather than the default provider. Households will be able to improve the energy efficiency of their house at no upfront cost, repaying through the savings they make on their energy bills, through a Green Deal.

Extra support to reduce energy bills and help improve heating and insulation will be provided by energy companies to combat fuel poverty. This will allow the Warm Front public spending programme to be phased out over time, saving £345 million by 2013-14.

Warm Front accounts for 44% of EAGA's turnover, so they are having to restructure the company, which costs money. No wonder EAGA shares have taken a dive.

Sponsored Links
do not think they have thought this through

what company will tie up millions off pounds for up to 5 years whilst getting paid back in dribs and drabs are they going to get any interest or will it be an interest free loan??

with energy prices rising and falling who is going to decide what the savings are ?if the savings are 10 percent and prices rises by 10 percent ' do they do without payment or just take there assumed average saving which are seldom achieved

EAGA will have received advance information of this and will, as I write this, be positioning themselves as the gatekeeper of the new scheme.

With £30M t/o a year on heating grants alone carried out by their own companies the methods they used to get the last contract will be redeployed with key Government decision makers.

I expect the deal is already done, don't expect any different. They would be dead in the water without their grant funded cavity wall and boiler schemes bankrolled by the taxpayer.

Sponsored Links
And while I'm ranting......

You are an elderly infirm OAP.

You can't apply for a Warmfront grant unless your boiler has broken down.

Once you apply the waiting list is around 6 months long.

This scheme is guaranteed to freeze old people to death, surely any sane person can see that?

EAGA will have received advance information of this and will, as I write this, be positioning themselves as the gatekeeper of the new scheme.
I don't think so. Responsibility is transferring to the Energy companies under a new "Energy Company Obligation". I doubt if companies of the size of British gas or EDF will want relate minnows like EAGA poking their nose in.

The energy companies already have an obligation under the Carbon Emissions Reduction Target scheme, which is why they all have low-cost insulation schemes. The Energy Company Obligation is just an extension of the CERT scheme.

The proposed legislation is in the Energy Bill, which is wending its way through Parliament at the moment.

There are also proposals to force landlords to make energy saving improvements to properties they rent out.

Improvements will be funded by loans to the householder repayable over an agreed period. One unique feature is that, if a owner moves, the obligation to make the repayments transfers to the new owner.

eaga's turnover was over 700 million last year they already new warmfront scheme was gonna be scaled down,thats why all warmsure vans have been replaced by new one's bearing eaga's new green renewable energy stickers,amazing coincidence about goverment replacing warmfront with a new green renewable energy scheme

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back