Changes to Warm Front on the way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I watched the tail end of a debate on the Parliament Channel on Monday evening on the subject of the Warm Front scheme. In the course of the debate, the Energy and Climate Change Minister said:

We are making more changes to the way in which work is allocated to the scheme in order to be even more competitive.

Under the new arrangements, which are now being rolled out across England, up to 35 per cent. of work will be allocated to appointed installers at a new, competitively derived, set price. For the remaining 65 per cent. of work, Warm Front-registered installers operating in each region will be able to bid via an electronic auction to establish the lowest price. That will help to ensure the continued focus on maintaining a competitive pricing structure. It will also provide customers with a choice when a contribution is required. Individual households will be free to choose between the three lowest bidders and will have access to the installer's performance rating, which will be measured through Eaga audits.

How you become an "appointed" or "registered" installer is not mentioned, but the danger is that the "appointed" and "registered" installer's accolade will only be given to British Gas and other large companies.

Perhaps the Trade bodies such IPHE and ARGI should be lobbying the government on behalf of the independent installer so they have a better chance of picking up some of the work.

Another possibility is that any firm of installers which is on the Government backed TrustMark list of "reliable trustworthy tradesmen" should automatically be "appointed" or "registered".

Sponsored Links
Thats pretty much how it works now. You have to buy into the scheme to be an approved installer i believe

That sounds good, so three companies all quote, £3000. £2700 and £1200.

Client goes with the cheapest quote, and moans that its a terrible job!

Another possibility is that any firm of installers which is on the Government backed TrustMark list of "reliable trustworthy tradesmen" should automatically be "appointed" or "registered".

That would be great if the trustmark scheme was nationwide! We don't have it here :confused:

Sponsored Links
That would be great if the trustmark scheme was nationwide! We don't have it here :confused:
As far as I am aware, the TrustMark Scheme is nationwide.

You don't register directly with the scheme but via one of their appointed "scheme operators", for example the HVCA.

PS I should make it clear that this is only my idea. I would find it very strange if someone could be considered up to the job if you employ him privately, but not suitable for Warm Front work.

funny, I just checked and now my county council is running the scheme, when I enquired last year I was told they didn't do it and they wasn't listed on the website. I don't want to have to pay out to another registration scheme just to get onto the trustmark scheme if possible. I'm glad you've raised this topic now as I can apply. ta

Can't see many small companies being able to join the scheme. Warmfront want to know you financial situation, health and safety policies etc then be prepared to wait for payment, which isn't made until the jobs are inspected , usually 3-4 weeks after install, and remedial's rectified if present ( and there very fussy about little things) If the remedial isn't attended within 7 days you get fined £169+vat for a re inspection charge. Not much money in the jobs either, especially if you have to bid for them.

Can't see many people sticking it out for long.

As a Warranty Agent for various boiler manufacturer's I have come across some Horrendous Warmfront Installs over the years so i don't think the snagging amounts to very much!! :LOL:

Suppose it depend's on area, around here they're a royal pain in the arse to satisfy. I know there were many companies chucking ****e systems in willy nilly, but that is long gone now. I would welcome an inspection of any of my systems fitted over the last 5 years under warmfront by anyone. I think it boil's down to the installer taking pride in his work regardless where the work come's from.

I know if I was my employer I wouldn't be working for them. Eaga are the people to blame, they are the one's making a huge amount of money and setting themselves up with contract's to see them far into the future once warmfront is gone. I know for a fact this work isn't very profitable, price's to the installer are being driven down, the amount of work required on a job is being increased. Eaga charge ludicrous amounts of money for everything possible.

Eaga own an installation company for each and every job that is offered under the scheme, loft insulation, heating, cavity wall insulation
,then warmsure to service and maintain and customers are then offered a service contract at the end of it all.

We had one where they failed the job because we didnt tile behind the boiler in the kitchen :eek:

Suppose it depend's on area, around here they're a royal pain in the a**e to satisfy. I know there were many companies chucking s***te systems in willy nilly, but that is long gone now. I would welcome an inspection of any of my systems fitted over the last 5 years under warmfront by anyone. I think it boil's down to the installer taking pride in his work regardless where the work come's from.

I know if I was my employer I wouldn't be working for them. Eaga are the people to blame, they are the one's making a huge amount of money and setting themselves up with contract's to see them far into the future once warmfront is gone. I know for a fact this work isn't very profitable, price's to the installer are being driven down, the amount of work required on a job is being increased. Eaga charge ludicrous amounts of money for everything possible.

Eaga own an installation company for each and every job that is offered under the scheme, loft insulation, heating, cavity wall insulation
,then warmsure to service and maintain and customers are then offered a service contract at the end of it all.

I think it boil's down to the installer taking pride in his work regardless where the work come's from.

Pride dont pay the bills sambot warm front are charging £3500 for a boiler
swap robbin barstwards

Wrong.

The grant allows for up to £3500 for gas £6000 for oil. That doesn't mean the whole amount is used.

The prices are fixed price on a tick box basis. So if 2 trv's need fitting they can charge x amount per TRV which is fixed. This applies for everything. upgrade gas supplies, vertical flues, radiators, system adaptations etc

I'd be lying if I said that all the work was 100% required, a few radiators are changed when it is not necessary etc but the work is still carried out and the customer still pay's nothing.

Plus we cannot pick and choose customers, some job's you wouldn't do if you had the choice, houses which are hazardous they are so filthy, i've seen human poo on a skirting board I kid you not. Not to say that 90% are fine and customer's are good as gold.

The problem is Eaga. They are in it to win it and thats exactly what they are doing.

From the outside it looks like the installers are making a mint and milking the scheme for there own benefit. There is also undoubtedly an amount jealousy involved as installers see the whole scheme as some 'secret arrangement' most are unable to get into. Hearing of bad installs here there and everywhere doesn't give much confidence either.

Tar and brush.

We are doing a warm front funded , oil fired heating system in April , & we are not reg with them , or on any tendering list never even spoken or met anyone from warm front & have never applied to be a warm front installer !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back