What should I do about warm front/boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I posted on here a few weeks ago about problems with my Potterton Lynx 2 boiler - what I didn't know then was that I had a gas leak (albeit a very small one). I ended up having a new part put on the gas meter and a huge hole dug at the front pavement and a new pipe inserted to increase the gas pressure.

Great, boiler working fine and hot water and warmth restored! In the meantime, I had put in for a Warm Front grant and an assessor had come round. A couple of days after the gas leak was fixed, an engineer from Warm Front rang and I explained that the boiler was working fine now and he wouldn't be needed. He wanted to come round anyway and check the boiler and I agreed.

I mentioned that the pressure on the boiler kept dropping/needed topping up and he said that it was either a leak somewhere on the system (which I had thought of) or something to do with the diaphram and that water would be leaking out of the pipe to the outside wall from the boiler.

He went outside and checked and came back and said yes it was the boiler and would need to be replaced (uneconomical to repair due to age of boiler - 13 years). I asked what boiler they would put in and he just said an Ideal one. Is this a good make? I looked outside earlier, expecting to see some green moss or something down the wall but didn't.

However, I have spoken to my Ex-partner and he says that the boiler has always needed topping up as he thinks there is a leak somewhere (he and his plumber friend installed a lot of the system and the boiler 13 years ago.) He thinks it will be a big mistake to replace the boiler.

I have to say that in the 13 years, this boiler has only needed attention once (PCB) and embarrasingly has only been serviced once!. The Warm front man said the new combi boilers are always breaking down!

Would I be better to stick with my boiler? I have to admit, that if I had to pay for the new boiler, I wouldn't even consider changing it now.

I am of the opinion that if its not broke don't fix it, but what do you Corgi blokes out there think? Does the boiler sound as if it needs replacing, or do the Warm Front people get a commission?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks. Sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
jump on the warm front wagon, it won't be rolling by again for a good while and your boiler is near the end of its days.

The Lynx 2 is by design a very poor boiler IMHO. Thje Puma wasnt a lot better, but as Ollski says....get that money and replace it.

Ideal boilers by desing are apalling but the current market demand boiler manufacturers make cheap boilers and make their money on spare parts.

Could you not advise on the manufacturer you want and maybe put some of your own money to the job.

With modern boilers...they are only as good as the system they are installed on; and that means nowadays means a system that is cleaner than an OCD sufferer.

I find a lot of RGI's really cannot grasp this fact.

David

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for your advice. Can I ask what a RGI (Registered Gas Installer?) is - sorry to be a bit dim. :)

What would you consider to be a good boiler then? - if I am able to have any input regarding which boiler they fit? Regards, Fiona

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back