Newly installed combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we recently installed a Worcester Greenstar HE Plus combi. According to the manuel, we should set the central heating control on the boiler to "E" or maximum rated temperature for efficiency. However the old room thermostats doesn't work and none of the radiators have thermostatic values so it gets really hot when we do put it to "E". Is the best solution to install thermostatic values on all the radiators? Is it easy to install and inexpensive? Appreciate any suggestions...to save us money and energy!

Sponsored Links
You need TRVs on all rads except the one closest to the (working) room thermostat.

TRVs by themselves are not enough as they will cause the boiler to cycle unnecessarily.

If you are replacing the TRVs, don't forget to add new inhibitor.

It's all quite cheap and relatively easy to do, but if I were you I'd get someone in to do it.

How the hell did you get a new boiler fitted without it being done to building regulations, DIDN'T IT SAY IT "HAS" TO BE FITTED BY SOMEONE COMPETENT, WHAT TW***T FITTED IT

To paraphrase PVman, the installer should have ensured proper operation of controls, as well as bringing them up to standard (and various other things that are vital to boiler performance). Did you not use a Corgi registered installer?

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately we did use a corgi registered guy and as you say that doesn't mean much sometimes. It sounds like we need to get someone else in.

He should have advised you on the requirement to upgrade the controls to meet the building regulations!

In addition he should have completed the Benchmark certificate and he should have advised the work to CORGI when it was finished! If he has NOT done this you may have some difficulties when you sell the house!

Did you ever check the CORGI registration? Just checking thats its a genuine registration number is not enough as its been known for people to "steal" CORGI numbers. You actualy need to get the telephone number from the CORGI web site and telephone the installer on THAT number to make sure its all genuine.

Tony Glazier

They are corgi registered..genuine. Where do we go from here? Shall I just get somebody else to come and finish the job...is it safe at the moment?! Will the new guy be able to fill in the benchmark papers for us once its all checked out, although he didn't installed the boiler? Questions, questions...my husband will be glad that I'M the one asking the questions!

Inform corgi, inform local authority if you can get an answer from any of them, the guy wants his nuts cut off.

You get what you pay for ,
cheap install =not done correct
Went to one week back, new boiler fitted in May keeps blowing fuses, removed plug and got electrical shock from plug spade ends installer had also wired another to the boiler via a fused spur. No trvs fitted pump valves in poor condition and job was done for £1300 no power flush carried out, open vented pumping over in F & e tank

Bench mark was filled in though :!:

when I do a quote (for my boss) customer gets no choice has to be updated to part L, new gas run trvs new cylinder, controls rewire etc
Might be more expensive but it is covered for 3 years on the boiler 1 years on the other parts as long as the boiler is serviced every year

This always rears its ugly head whenever people take the cheapest quote.

Everyone wants the best but don't want to be ripped off.

It wasn't because we went for the cheapest. No one wanted to install a boiler that wasn't provided by them. We bought the boiler ourselves...was that a problem? (being ignorant of this trade). The boiler is running fine and we've had no problems with it, apart from the facts stated above.

Why then did you buy your own boiler............cheaper.
Who decided the spec required, tested for adequate water pressure and flow.

Odds on the gas supply is undersized, fun and games if you make a warranty call.

You ended up with a cowboy installation, expect future problems.

Your ignorance of this trade is a poor excuse, you have what you deserve.

The problem isn't the boiler nor was the installer a cowboy...and the boiler wasn't cheap...nevertheless, appreciate all your comments. Just spent the last two hours reading all the topics here...fascinating, they sure helped my ignorance!

You have no thermostatic valves, minimum required is bedrooms.
No room thermostat (Worcester has no flow switch) which is used as a boiler interlock.

Both required for your boiler to conform to current regulations, now only a cowboy would have left it like that.

Point taken...and I shall get in touch with him and corgi. Hopefully to have all this sorted. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back