Is this Artex or textured paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As said in the title... Is this Artex or textured paint? It's in my bathroom's ceiling and it's starting to peel off. I was thinking about taking down as much as I can and see what I am left with.

I thought it was artex but now that I see how thin it is, I'm starting to think it might ht actually be paint. Any thought?

In a few months the whole bathroom is going to be redone but I suppose that i can't leave this like that until then because of the moisture... Or can I?

Attachments

• IMG_20211219_191846.jpg
    IMG_20211219_191846.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20211219_191849.jpg
    IMG_20211219_191849.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 206
Sponsored Links
its artex. i’d leave it until your room gets sorted.

That's the paint come away from the artex and you will probably find the artex has disinterested behind

Looks like after to me.
Don’t panic.

leave it until the room is redone and have loads of steamy baths between now and then
The steam will help remove it. Do NOT try to scrape it off dry, use a wallpaper steamer when you do

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies! The thing is, it seems that underneath there's just plasterboard. If that is the case, would it not be bad to have steam soaking into it for months?

Why should I not scrape it off? If it comes off by itself what's the benefit of using a steamer?

no benefit to removing it with or without a steamer. some artex may contain small amounts of asbestos. i’d leave it until the room is getting done and overboard and skim.

Asbestos artex was much harder and less likely to disintegrate like that. Only way to know for sure is test.
Must of been done from new so when was house built if you can see board as that is clue to asbestos or not

What ever it is, it seems to have delaminated from the plaster.

It isn't regular paint. You cannot build normal paint up in such layers. It may well be a "fake" Artex.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it in the meantime.

Well that’s the thing… if it has asbestos I’d rather deal with it myself rather than having someone mindlessly scraping the high bits off and vacuuming afterwards with a regular vacuum cleaner as they usually tend to do…

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back