Is this asbestos? (threads amalgamated)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The porch in our house was build in 1970s. In the porch's ceiling there is a thermocol sheet. Visually looking at it the behind of that sheet there seems to be asbestos. I am not 100% sure but it looks like one.

I am planning to remove it myself (poss. in one piece with some safety gear). What percussion I need to take care when dispose it in the council so that I am covered legally? Do council charge for it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Some councils will accept low grade ACM (cement sheet, artex debris), but if it's the more hazardous AIB type then you will tend to need a licenced removal contractor or transfer station.

Hi,

We have got 70's porch. I am been told by one of my mates this looks like an asbestos but not 100% sure. If someone could tell from the pics attached if this is an asbestos?

There is a thermocol sheet on the top and behind that apparently there is asbestos board/sheet. Its got some varnishing / PVA on those boards (if you can see in the pic). The white bit is the thermocol and the yellowesh stuff is the sheet I am not sure about.

Thanks

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-11-01 at 9.49.53 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-11-01 at 9.49.53 AM.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 126
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-11-01 at 9.50.28 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-11-01 at 9.50.28 AM.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 128
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-11-01 at 9.50.52 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-11-01 at 9.50.52 AM.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 145
All I can see is brick or a lintel over the door frame, Normally the asbestos sheet would stop at the door frame.
1970's it's quite possible to be asbestos, only sampling and testing will tell.
Why worry it is covered by the sheet material just trim over paint and forget it.(y)

Sponsored Links
All I can see is brick or a lintel over the door frame, Normally the asbestos sheet would stop at the door frame.
1970's it's quite possible to be asbestos, only sampling and testing will tell.
Why worry it is covered by the sheet material just trim over paint and forget it.(y)
The reason I have to act on it because the ceiling has started to fall from one side.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2018-11-01 at 9.50.28 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2018-11-01 at 9.50.28 AM.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 114
Where the nail is you mean.
With the brown stain on impossible to say I'm afraid, is it an internal porch or a free standing one?

Where the nail is you mean.
With the brown stain on impossible to say I'm afraid, is it an internal porch or a free standing one?
Yes its where it nail is. The brown stuff looks like varnish. The porch is outside of the house and I guess hence you could call it freestanding?

So no way to see the back from the room upstairs then.
I assume the top is tile or felt so no chance of easily seeing the construction that way.
Any neighbours removed or replaced theirs who might know its construction?
You say it is coming down how about pushing back and supporting with batten around the side walls to save disturbing it?
Good news is at least it is isolated from the main house if you do want to get it removed.

The black and white material looks like Jablite EPS - but that's only from the photo which is not very clear

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back