Is this asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PXL_20230704_163545923.jpg

PXL_20230704_163601154.jpg

I'm renovating my porch and wanted to remove the old wall tiles. They felt like polystyrene tiles as they are softish to the touch and can be slightly compressed when pushing on them hard. However I accidentally damaged one when removing skirting board and inside the tile it is yellow, almost paper like fibre that is dusty when touched. If feels almost like fibreglass but I'm not entirely sure.

I am worried this might be asbestos but I am not sure if the characteristics are right . It is a 1960s property but the porch was built in the 1990s, if that helps.

Can anyone advise or help identifyPXL_20230704_163545923.jpgPXL_20230704_163601154.jpg?

Sponsored Links
Only way to tell for definite is to have it tested. Hard to tell from photos, as they actually look like hard board.

Only way to tell for definite is to have it tested. Hard to tell from photos, as they actually look like hard board.

Yeah I'm going to get it tested and I've put my work in the porch on hold for now. I know nothing about asbestos or what it looks like, though I know it can come in many guises, so I just wondered if I was wrong and it's actually really obviously something else! Here is hoping!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Looks like Sundeala pinboard to me

It does feel a little like pinboard, my only question on that is why anyone would clad a wall with it!

Is that something commonly seen?

It does feel a little like pinboard, my only question on that is why anyone would clad a wall with it!

Is that something commonly seen?
its sometimes done as a cheap way to insulate a wall that might suffer damp or condensation and although a bit naff it can be painted

Looks like fibre board to me. Fibre board tiles.
Take a bit outside and put a match to it. Asbestos don't burn.
I think that will though

Looks like fibre board to me. Fibre board tiles.
Take a bit outside and put a match to it. Asbestos don't burn.
I think that will though

Didn't know that. I'll have to do it out of view of the neighbours!

Given the bad DIY I've found in this house that would make sense. Behind this cladding is just the brick from the house before the porch was there.

So whatever it is is just stuck to the brick with what looks like a black adhesive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back