Is this bath chip bad enough to need repaired, and if so what is best thing to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20190825_163239.jpg
The image above is from my bath (not sure what the bath material is it feels plastic but if there's a way to check please let me know). I don't have access below my bath so can't see if it's done any harm does this look bad enough to need fixed? If so is there a recommendation on what to use?

I actually first noticed this about 2 years ago and covered it with sealant (the works), I guess it must have sealed OK because Ive never noticed any dampness on the ceiling below, however over time the sealant scrathed off. While it seemed to work ok it looked terrible and I'm wondering if there's anything better?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Gloss white paint may do it.
The damage is tiny.
If the bath is plastic you need to be aware of material as some solvents may harm the bath.
A metal bath will be magnetic, a plastic one warm in cool weather. Obviously hard in August .

Gloss white paint may do it.
The damage is tiny.
If the bath is plastic you need to be aware of material as some solvents may harm the bath.
A metal bath will be magnetic, a plastic one warm in cool weather. Obviously hard in August .

Thanks for the reply, you mentioned the damage is tiny, does this mean its unlikely to be doing much harm as it is just now? The reason I ask is that it's been like this for about 6 weeks but I've been preoccupied with other stuff (new baby) to fix it, I'm basically wondering if leaving it this long so far will have caused issues.

Also, from what you've said the bath must be plastic I originally thought most baths were ceramic or acrylic but was unsure how to tell the difference.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
It'll be an acrylic coated fibre glass bath.

Plastic body filler will do the job, same stuff they use for car's plastic bumpers. A lot cheaper than specific bath stuff and just as good.

If the chip isn't bothering you though, isn't leaking and isn't getting any larger after 2 years then I wouldn't worry about it.

Just a quick follow up on this, from madrabs comment on this it seems the bath is acrylic coated fibre glass. I'm not sure the make up of these, is it likely/normal if the acrylic gets chipped the bath will leak, or does the fibreglass maintain the water tight integrity?

It's difficult for me to get tell from below if there's any leakage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back