Is this birdsmouth type cut ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builders seems to have done quite an irregular birdsmouth cut - is this acceptable for building regs?

This is for a single storey extension with roof angle at 16 deg - wall to wall length is 3 metres so span is just over 3m.

Thanks

Attachments

• D0A4051E-5D1B-4E53-B3AC-3C6D952A9FEB.jpeg
    D0A4051E-5D1B-4E53-B3AC-3C6D952A9FEB.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 17,396
Sponsored Links
No. That is terrible and amateurish. We try and limit the cut to 25% of rafter depth. You seem to only have 25% remaining.:eek:

If there were joists sitting on that WP they would have rafter material protruding below the ceiling line. Horrendous. Sack the roofer and buy some new rafters.

Arrgghhh. Thanks for posting. This is what another builder mate of mine said.

The guy who did this is my main builder. Obvs very worried about the quality of the other work now.

You could add some ply gussets to reinforce the rafter.

Nail plates may do the same thing, but you'd need the supplier or an engineer to confirm.

Sponsored Links
You could add some ply gussets to reinforce the rafter.

Nail plates may do the same thing, but you'd need the supplier or an engineer to confirm.

I think the builder did it this way to get the angle for the roof tiles. Is there a building regs standard for this?

No. Building Regs are not standards.

They're will be BS or EN standard, or the NHBC Standards may mention this or refer to the relevant BS/EN standard.

Or you could get someone to calculate the loading and stress at the bearing and that will do.

I’ve seen this image - maybe this is the plan to reinforce it this way? Would this work?

Attachments

• B963B24D-7784-4D87-835B-C4AF197F8487.jpeg
    B963B24D-7784-4D87-835B-C4AF197F8487.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 5,191
No. Google for plywood gusset and look at the images, and you'll need to cut two per rafter and scribe it around the wall plate to strengthen the rafter and also give it a better seat on the wall plate.

It begs the question: If they have allowed the rafter material (that which would be ordinarily removed on a regular BM) to protrude down into the room, why they never set the WP at that height, i.e. lower?

Some say the birdsmouth cut out should be a maximum of 1/4 the depth of the rafter , others say 1/3. Too much has been cut out of your rafters and they need reinforcing as others say.

It begs the question: If they have allowed the rafter material (that which would be ordinarily removed on a regular BM) to protrude down into the room, why they never set the WP at that height, i.e. lower?

Prob because the wall went up, then the wall plate went on, then he scratched his head and wondered how to get to 16deg without any rework.

No. That is terrible and amateurish. We try and limit the cut to 25% of rafter depth. You seem to only have 25% remaining.:eek:

If there were joists sitting on that WP they would have rafter material protruding below the ceiling line. Horrendous. Sack the roofer and buy some new rafters.

He could notch the joists too :ROFLMAO:

That isn't worth pi$$ing around with, just start again.
Preferably with another builder!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back