Is this cartridge repairable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Trevi Therm built in shower mixer valve and I’ve replaced the hot and cold cartridges over the years as they get stiff and the clutches on the gears start spinning, making it difficult to turn off. I've got a couple on order as nowhere but nowhere has them in stock but I was just wondering, is it possible to strip these down? I don’t want to try it before the new ones arrive but it’s just the hot valve that is stiff. Was wondering if it’s the spindle that just needs cleaning up. If I can, I’ll clean it up and keep for a spare. Has anyone done this before?

Sponsored Links
1. They can be stripped down. Make a note of positions, remove circlip and push spindle through brass body. Be careful with the inserts, they break quite easily.
2. As you say, they don't seem to last very long before going stiff. As a first attempt (before stripping), try soaking in de-scaling fluid such as Kilrock or Ataka. Then push a little silicone grease into the works with a small screwdriver, wherever you can. Wipe off surplus with kitchen roll before putting back.

Thanks. I’ll give that a go but only when I’ve fitted the new ones - if I make a balls up then, it won’t matter!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back