Is this chimney breast corbelled?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have a narrow chimney breast on the first floor with built in cupboards either side, pretty much in the middle of the house, which expands to a much wider chimney in the loft, but there is no chimney breast on the ground floor. The chimney breast extends above the kitchen and, until recently, contained a flue from an old fire.

I have recently removed the flue and also part of the ceiling. I think that the chimney breast is corbelled, but I wondered if you folks would mind looking at the pictures below and letting me know your thoughts.

Before I repair the ceiling, would it be a good idea to get it inspected by a structural engineer?

I want to be sure that it is safe and I also plan to eventually get the stack taken out, but maybe not for a couple of years.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

qwCFXv9l.jpg

HwUlnjel.jpg

QPPAWdfl.jpg

6hxKqKOl.jpg

FKCtufol.png

bOuQALtl.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like it's been corbelled over to avoid the purlin or just to brig it more towards the ridge of the roof. It's hard to tell exactly where the weight is being distributed but those trimmers and joists look chunky enough to me. Looks pretty stable too.

Demolish from the top down though in future.(y)

Thank you. The other thing is that the gas flue box is still in place. Is there any risk to removing it? Not sure if it could be adding anything to the structure.

gBSmPV7l.jpg

EBRQZ5rl.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back