is this combi any good

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ariston MicroGenus 24 HE

is the above combi any good ?

i have been installling ferroli for a bit now and was thinking of a change to this model and the 30 he

any tips ?

Sponsored Links
I dont like giving opinions on boiler reliability.

Unfortunately both the boilers you mention are not the easiest or most reliable in my limited experience.

Smaller Ferollis seem to have a lot of NTC failures, Ariston seem to have had a lot of PCB failures.

Its not helping that I recently had a problem with an Ariston and was not impressed by the response I received from Ariston ( or their service agent either ). Its still not resolved after three months either!

If Ariston were switched on they would email or phone me!

Tony Glazier

Secondary heat exchanger...bag-on-side...mutter, mutter....

I've only worked on one condensing boiler (not Ariston) with a secondary heat exchanger. It was an abortion!

Seems to me that any design with the fan positioned between the main HX and a second one ('recuperator') is asking for fan problems if it's at all possible for condensate to form in the fan body.

I've also had a close look at a 'cheap' condensing combi with the same layout. In this case the fatal (?) flaw was that to clean the secondary HX, you needed to drain the boiler and pull connecting pipes of the HX before you could open it up. In other words: here's one secondary HX that will hardly ever get serviced, regardless of what the manufacturer recommends.

I've yet to take an Ariston HE apart - it may be COMPLETELY different and truly wonderful. Or it may not.

Sponsored Links
Actually John, I have worked on several hybrid boilers and in my experience there are no problems associated with them as you suggest.

All the problems I have encountered are "minor" and are in respect of flue seals, flue o/h stats, cable harness, ignition electrodes and other small problems which could affect any boiler.

The fan is placed in a position where the gas temperature is well over the condensing point so the fan is not at risk.

In my view these models use conventional burners which are very robust and therefore reliable. OK they may be slightly less efficient but the higher efficiency pre mix burners are VERY sensitive and if not spot on can either suffer from lockouts or explosive ignition.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back