Is this condensation? or Penetrating damp or Both?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this condensation? or Penetrating damp or Both?

Hello all, I have a porch on the front of my house which has an arched opening that has been filled with a UPVC door + sidepanels. This leads into the porch, and then you come to another door (which was the original front door & this is single glazed 18 panel + wooden)

Still with me? Good.. Right on the outside of the porch brickwork there is render at path level which goes 3 bricks up & the 2 courses above this render, the brick faces have come off + are showing a white salty deposit. On the inside of the porch brickwork it has been painted by someone, and this paint is flaking off about the same height as the weathered bricks on the outside wall. The original concrete floor had no DPM, and it was bridging the DPC in the wall, this has now been replaced with another floor but with a DPM in place. (Yesterday) There is no ventilation in this porch at all, apart from going in and out the door, So I am planning on adding an airbrick or two any way.

I have left the PVC door open all day to let the concrete set better and get some air in there, as it was obviously badly condensated this morning when I awoke. (Couldn't leave the PVC door open all night!) Right, I noticed today that the white salty deposit on the exterior brickwork became alot whiter today, is this because of the moisture in the air from the concrete or is it because the porch is giving a big sigh of relief as it can breathe with the door wide open, which is letting the brickwork air out? Don't know what paint is on the inside, but it has a glossy finish, which I presume is not helping the brickwork breathe. This is coming off soon as I get chance.

Hope someone can throw a few ideas my way & I can upload some photos of the porch if it will help.

Sponsored Links
Sorry about the spaces in the lines, I copied it out of notepad :confused:

++++++++++++++++++
Use the "Edit" button and you can take them out. You can also add comments/remarks to your earlier posts with the same button.

Mod Rupert
+++++++++++++++++

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back