Is this CU still alright, usable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new circuit for an oven (there wasn't one there before) and an electrician has said that he can't work with my CU as it's too old. Is this really the case?

It has space for one more breaker.

I know it "could be updated", but if it's safe and functional then I'd rather keep it. Will electricians work with a CU like that?

Pics:

GhNLG3F.jpg

LfcVuOW.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
He's kind of got a point.

It is out of date, I doubt you have RCD protection, and getting a new breaker for that could prove very difficult.

Is that a spare breaker on the right? If so, what amperage is it rated at?

What are the amperages of the other breakers?

It may be possible to move circuits around at the consumer unit, if you really want to keep it.

I mentioned the lack of RCD protection - this may not be a direct problem if the new cooker circuit wiring isn't going to buried in the walls.

He's kind of got a point.

It is out of date, I doubt you have RCD protection, and getting a new breaker for that could prove very difficult.

Is that a spare breaker on the right? If so, what amperage is it rated at?

What are the amperages of the other breakers?

It may be possible to move circuits around at the consumer unit, if you really want to keep it.

I mentioned the lack of RCD protection - this may not be a direct problem if the new cooker circuit wiring isn't going to buried in the walls.

Yea, there's a spare 15A and 30A on the right. The ones in use are 40A, 30A and 5A (shower, ring and lights)

The wiring will prob be surface mounted; the CU is inside the cupboard next to the oven, about 60cm away.

Then he can use the spare 30amp breaker, and make sure the wiring isn't buried in the wall less than 50mm from the surface of the plaster.

Sponsored Links
I mentioned the 30amp breaker could be used, if the cooker is low power the 15amp one MAY be used.

Either way, you are in luck.

OK, thanks, guys. I'll ask that he use the current CU but he did say "In order for me to sign off the cooker circuit you’ll neee to upgrade the consumer unit. " so I may not be able to persuade him! Just his personal (and not unreasonable) opinion on it, I guess.

Your installation would PROBABLY benefit from a new CU.

Other circuits could do with RCD protection, which I assume you don't have.

Though when that CU was installed, the requirements were different.

I can't think why the new circuit would require a whole new CU, unless he is concerned about RCD protection.

He could fit a stand-alone RCD unit to cover just his new circuit, but it doesn't necessarily need it.

How old is this electrician? Perhaps a lack of experience/knowledge/common sense is part of the problem.

If the cooker switch is to have a socket outlet incorporated into it, I could understand why he may want to include RCD protection.

Your installation would PROBABLY benefit from a new CU.

Other circuits could do with RCD protection, which I assume you don't have.

Though when that CU was installed, the requirements were different.

I can't think why the new circuit would require a whole new CU, unless he is concerned about RCD protection.

He could fit a stand-alone RCD unit to cover just his new circuit, but it doesn't necessarily need it.

How old is this electrician? Perhaps a lack of experience/knowledge/common sense is part of the problem.

Youngish chap, maybe late 20's. Nice guy and I've used him before for something at a different property.

Various people have seen this CU since I've lived here and have had all sorts of opinions on it, at both extremes.

You do have a shower on that cu, presumably without an RCD.

And sockets without an RCD, which could be used outdoors for example.

I WOULD RECOMMEND a new CU, for the sake of safety.

Standing under a shower that's not protected by an RCD, or using an electric lawn mower outside without an RCD, is certainly worrying.

Think they are LoadMaster MCB's most were type 4 and that is a problem, now would be called type C but the loop impedance to ensure they will trip within the allowed time needs to be very low. They are no longer made and unlike the modern B32 clearly written these would just have 32 written on them so the electrician has no idea what the rating is, there was also a little screw to adjust them and I remember on one site finding a whole load where the screws had been adjusted in order to get more power than written on the reset lever.

So second hand one is really taking a chance, in real terms you have no idea what you are fitting, the isolator was same design, and I have seen when an electrician thought he was fitting a 100A MCB and it was in fact an isolator.

In theory nothing to stop you using them, in practice I would not want to take a chance fitting second hand stuff. I no longer have the chart to tell me the ELI for a type 4 MCB, I seem to remember reading they were never really intended for domestic.

So I think really the electrician was right not to use the old distribution box, think I may have done the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back