1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this damp around the door

Discussion in 'Building' started by Diy guy, 1 Jul 2017.

1. Diy guy

Diy guy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    IMG_0050.JPG IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0051.JPG So as it says is this damp around my front door. It is only on the one side of the door and seems to be solid. The front was repointed and painted over with masonry paint in April and this seems to have got worse. As the pictures show it's only half way up and just on the corner doesn't seem to travel along the wall.

Any help on how to rectify it would be a appreciated thanks.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Blagard

Blagard

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looks strange, why not post an outside picture of the door and one of the good side. I am trying to understand how that return has been built so looking for clues! Any history would be welcome such as was it once an outside lobby and a door added further out to gain indoor space.

4. Diy guy

Diy guy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The first picture is of the other wall. The second of the doorway after pointing and painting. The door has always been there as exactly the same as every other house on the street. When I repointed it there wasn't really any mortar left in the joints. It had been fixed with the red clay like stuff and suffered badly with the white salts coming through hence the repointing.

Just to add the black bit looks wet in some places as this was taken straight after painting.

Attached Files:

5. John D v2.0

John D v2.0

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What's that ledge above the door? Getting worse after painting and repointing suggests it can't evaporate as much now, but it's still getting in. It's more likely to be penetrating damp around the reveal than rising from below. If it has got worse in summer then condensation is unlikely.
    I'm wondering whether it's running in around that ledge and then running down somewhere.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Diy guy

Diy guy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The ledge is just like a little rain cover I think comes out about 3 inches or so don't think it does much. The water does run down the wall a bit as then guttering is sort of sat on top of the wall in a square box shape guttering. But would it be doing it higher instead of just down at the bottom.

8. Blagard

Blagard

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The white salts suggest wetness in the bricks as the salts get left behind as it evaporates. So I am inclined to go along with JD. Suspect water coming down that wall where the bricks key in with the render. That joint is weak point for water getting in. I don't generally agree with putting anything on bricks as they cannot "breath" out moisture if it gets into the outer leaf, the same goes for the mortar. You may have stopped salts forming but have trapped the moisture that contained them. Now you have to find the real source of the problem (water). Start at the top with the roof and guttering and work down.

9. vinn

vinn

Thanks Received:
    Ireland
    Do all similar neighbouring houses have the same render & Tyrolean finish?
    As suggested above, the black paint is doing you no favours.
    Perhaps both the white & the black paints are oil based plastic paints - they look too shiny for masonry wash. But maybe thats just my view?

Is the wall solid?
    What is the purpose of the vent above the FFL?
    No vents can be seen below the presumed DPC line - are the hall & front room floors solid?

Are there any signs of damp on the other side of the wall in the front room?
    Is the door frame firm & well sealed?

FWIW: the broken window sill tile is allowing water to run back to the wall.

10. Diy guy

Diy guy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah all the houses on the row look the same the paint is masonry paint for use on bricks looks a lot duller now it's dry.

It's a cavity wall with the small grey ball insulation fitted before I bought the house.
    I do t know what a FFL is but the vent does nothing as far as I know not one on the inside.
    The floors are so solid indeed.

There is no signs of damp on the other side of the wall in living room, and I resealed the front door and windows as all the silicon was loose.

Thanks for the along the time to answer.

11. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local