Is this damp? Or condensation?

LDO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. This site has been a godsend to me over the years but I've never needed to post...until now!

We're selling our house and the buyers survey showed a high damp meter reading in the kitchen on the back wall.

It's a terrace built in 1901 and we've never had damp problems in the 11 years we've been here, though when we purchased the house the same wall did show up a damp reading but the builder we had look at it then said it was probably just due to condensation as there was no ( and still isn't ) a radiator in the kitchen.

Buyers are adamant there is a damp problem but there is no smell and no mould or mildew anywhere. All we have is near the skirting board a 2in x 3in patch of weird bubbling but not big bubbles, just very small as if a blowtorch has been taken to the wall.

Skirting is older than me and there is no rotting to it. There is also nothing to the exterior. No moss on the bricks. Doesn't need pointing.

Any clues to what this could be?

Sponsored Links
Could it be a spill of some kind that reacted with the paint?

From your description I would thank that damp or not , it is really not a significant issue to live with. As you say the skirting in the photo looks sound and other than that odd bubbling so does the wall.

The problem is the survey says it is damp - so what do they expect to be done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back