Is this do-able for a beginner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
As my son is in the box room I've removed the built in cupboard for more space and now I've knocked through into the stairwell to create his wardrobe. I've framed it out and plasterboarded it. Will it be pretty straightforward to skim over. I'm thinking of a multi finish plaster and would like any help and advice. I know it's late but I'll hopefully be trying this in the morning so would appreciate all constructive advice.

Thanks in advance guys.
IMG_20170830_210719_hdr.jpg

Sponsored Links
No problem.
1 bag of mult finish.
metal corner tape.

put the tape on first with a bit of multi...let it go off a bit then mix enough to do a couple of panels.
Get the first coat on...dont mess about with it..then a second coat straight after the first,let it take up then take the lines out of it...when nearly dry lightly spray some water on it and polish it up till youre happy.

Normally tape would be put on between the wall and ceiling but you can use flexible caulk in the join when its dry to save cracking.

Post a piccie when youre done.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p1...=10867&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIitfJkvn_1QIVxSnTCh1u

Well the wife reckons I need a day off this week as I'm back in work on Monday and have the rubble to shift tomorrow and a shed to re-erect sat morning then football sat afternoon. So it looks like me plastering cherry will have to be popped next week now.

You would have done better to have battened the underside of the stairs, and taken the plasterboard right the way down in one piece. Then you'd have followed Alastairs instructions, although some people will tell you to add the water onto your trowel so that you don't overwet the plaster, but it's whatever works best for you.

Sponsored Links
This is above the stairs pal. And my lad is getting big. I'm 6' and he's taller than me so had to make it with headroom when coming down stairs.

But you've got 2 sloping sections, with a flat and vertical in between, so by definition, you should have been able to take the slope down the whole section. But it may be the perspective that I'm looking at it from. It doen's matter that you didn't, and it shouldn't affect how the two of you get down the stairs. I had a similar setup in my last place, and it's an interesting trick, so well worth doing.

I tried framing it both ways and this "felt" like the better option when walking down. It just seemed to give more headroom.

I have double plaster board all of the ceilings in my house with insulation in between the joists.

The house is much warmer and quieter.

Andy

I tried framing it both ways and this "felt" like the better option when walking down. It just seemed to give more headroom.

It's all just a learning curve jc; give it a couple of years, and you'll be on here giving out the advice from what you've learned from this. The way you've done it isn't wrong by any means, and oddly enough, may well be easier for a beginner having smaller sections to work on at a time. If you'd sloped the whole section, you'd have had a more standard layout, but a larger section to work on. But Hearts is right when he points out that it should be double plaster board for the fire regs, or a single skin of fire rated board.

Post us pics when you've finished.

If you haven't already had a go, I found this post on general plastering advice really useful a few years ago when I hadn't plastered before.

No problem.
1 bag of mult finish.
metal corner tape.

put the tape on first with a bit of multi...let it go off a bit then mix enough to do a couple of panels.
Get the first coat on...dont mess about with it..then a second coat straight after the first,let it take up then take the lines out of it...when nearly dry lightly spray some water on it and polish it up till youre happy.

Normally tape would be put on between the wall and ceiling but you can use flexible caulk in the join when its dry to save cracking.

Post a piccie when youre done.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p1...=10867&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIitfJkvn_1QIVxSnTCh1u
That's all well and easy to say and understand if you know what you're doing. For a beginner just getting the plaster from hawk to trowel can be an ordeal.
Whatever you do sheet up the area well first, working on small areas, in confined space with all those corners isn't the easiest of introductions.
But best of luck

image.jpg
Well guys all done. Hope it meets your approval. Thanks for all the advice. Doesn't look too bad. But I'm always over critical of myself.

Thanks again guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back