step-by-step guide for beginner

10 dys in Denver colorado R/C visiting family.

the mile high city as its called, and a bit more snow than we had here. :D

Sponsored Links
(professionals doing the skilled work, me doing the donkey work!)
you are suggesting that plastering is not skilled work?

I would say the opposite.

Unlike some technical work, it is a job where reading a book, and doing it slowly and carefully, and testing it to find any errors so you can put them right, doesn't work.

You need to acquire the correct manual dexterity, speed and confidence before you can do it.

Sorry, that wasn't how i meant that to come across at all!

I meant I am a DIY novice so only doing the donkey work i.e. stripping old wallpaper, with professionals doing the skilled stuff.

I count plastering as a skilled trade, and am having the whole house re-plastered by a professional.

I just wanted to have a go at a smaller area to gain some experience.

No offence meant to the skilled plasterers out there!

Sponsored Links
With plastering you are really only paying for the labour which really made me think twice about giving someone else money to do the job. I had a wall to do and just practiced. I can now say I can manage a nice flat surface. Although be prepared to have some mishaps down the line, its a big learning curve.

remember plaster is cheap so don't bother using old plaster which you have been storing because believe me it will start to set as soon as you mix with water, talking from experience here! And buy from B&Q, its very competitive and kept in a dry place...

With plastering you are really only paying for the labour
Neds, knowing you quiet well on the forum; I’ve got to say that disappoints me a whole lot :cry: . Monkeys can probably put plaster on wall & there are plenty of them about (again, no offence TM ;) ) but you’re paying for skill; it’s the finish you end up with that distinguishes the skilled from the monkeys. :LOL:

which really made me think twice about giving someone else money to do the job.
That’s how I started & ended up with a whole new working life. :cool:
I had a wall to do and just practiced. I can now say I can manage a nice flat surface. Although be prepared to have some mishaps down the line, its a big learning curve.
& some
remember plaster is cheap so don't bother using old plaster which you have been storing because believe me it will start to set as soon as you mix with water, talking from experience here! And buy from B&Q, its very competitive and kept in a dry place...
All on the spot advice, including B&Q, but lets get the first bit right ehh! :LOL:

RC you're right, there is a big difference to 'Labour' and skilled labour. And for some of the fine plasterers out there I'd call their skill close to fine art! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back