Stripped wallpaper. Now what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_4391.JPG
Hello!

In the process of renovating an old Victorian house, one step at a time.

This is step one.

I've just stripped the wallpaper and ceiling down to the plaster, but it's very crumbly and inconsistent. There are some cracks. There's also this strange (maybe insulation?) fabric under the ceiling. I've attached photos.

Firstly, can anyone tell me what that fabric material is please?

Secondly, we will want to paint the walls and ceiling. What do I need to do next?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4392.JPG
    IMG_4392.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4393.JPG
    IMG_4393.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4396.JPG
    IMG_4396.JPG
    392.8 KB · Views: 127
Sponsored Links
Cant see fabric material in your pics, if it is at the junction between ceiling and walls it will be hessian jute scrim tape used to reinforce the join and help prevent cracking..
Best bet is to remove any loose plaster clean the walls down of any paste and get the lot re-skimmed.

Thanks Alastair.

It's the brown stuff on the last picture. Thanks for that.

The paste is just the paste between the wallpaper and the wall right? I can use a steamer on that?

What's the best way to remove loose plaster?

And a professional is the best bet to skim, I presume? Too hard to do DIY?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yep its jute scrim..dont take it off.
wash the walls with sugar soap to remove any old paste residue.
probably best to get a plasterer in to advise you on what needs to come off..a job that size isnt really diy, especially ceilings.
having said that...if you want to give it a go, have the time and patience...you may be a natural...or book onto a 3 day course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back