Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_4391.JPG
IMG_4392.JPG
IMG_4393.JPG
IMG_4396.JPG
Hello.

In the process of renovating an old Victorian house, one step at a time.

This is step one.

I've just stripped the wallpaper and ceiling down to the plaster, but it's very crumbly and inconsistent. There are some cracks. There's also this strange (maybe insulation?) fabric under the ceiling. I've attached photos.

Firstly, can anyone tell me what that fabric material is please?

Secondly, we will want to paint the walls and ceiling. What do I need to do next?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ideally needs re plastering !!! The fabric material could be a form of insulated board, prior to plaster board. There is a lot of distemper on the surfaces, so if don't re plaster that would need sealing.

Cheers Robbie.

Would it be possible to do the replastering myself, with the aid of self help tutorials?!

Could the insulation board contain asbestos?

Its doubtful that the insulated board contains asbestos. Plastering is not an easy task to learn quickly. I am self taught and can do a decent job, but ive watched plasterers on site and buildings ive worked in. You learn far more watching a tradesman and asking questions than you will ever learn out of a book.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again.

Watching how to guides on YouTube etc is no good then? Looks like I'll have to splurge for a plasterer then!

After the plastering, do I just paint straight on to the plaster?

When everything is dry to a nice pink colour you need to apply a mist coat. This is a thinned down coat of white contract matt emulsion. Contract matt has no PVA in it so this will adhere to the plaster and let it breathe also. Once dry a gentle rub down, check any filling and then on with full coats of your chosen paint, finish, colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back