Is this fireplace worth anything?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have what seems to be an ART DECO / 1950's fireplace with dark and light brown tiled designs. The hearth border seems to be made from marble.

I would like to replace this fireplace with a more modern one which will go with the rest of the room.

My questions are:-

1. Is the old fireplace worth a lot of money?
2. If the answer to the above is YES, then how do I safely take it out without damaging it?
3. If the answer to question 1 is NO, then how do I remove it without damaging the chimney?

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't be too hard to get the fireplace out with judicious application of force and correct use of appropriate tools. Marble is very fragile though so be careful. It should leave the brick fireplace untouched.

As for the value, we recently sold a disgusting modern "Regency" style gas fire and wood surround for £100 so it was worth that to somebody!

If you suspect it has genuine value try some of the architectural salvage firms - you could email a picture. Have a look at www.salvo.co.uk for a start.

Or photograph it and put it on fleabay. People will buy anything. But take it off very carefully. If you knock off the plaster round it you may find some fixing lugs.

50`s too late for deco but if it was 30`s proper deco I`d like it but I`m hundreds of miles south of you :cry:

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
50`s too late for deco but if it was 30`s proper deco I`d like it but I`m hundreds of miles south of you :cry:
Ha, ive an old 1930's art deco built in cast iron stove you can have NigeF..
as for the question ive looked into selling savage and mostly it costs more in petrol to transport it to the savage depos than you get in cash :(.. try your local paper or ebay

That sounds interesting .Static..........Eor W Sussex.......tis a big county ;)

Polegate, so just down the road from you.. email me (in profile) if interested..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back