Is this gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning

I'm knocking through the wall with the Mains cable on and the distribution board so I've opened up a pit for them to joint and move the suppy, the other issue is the pipe sticking up which will need to go as well, so 2 questions is it gas and what is involved in removing it.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20220420-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20220420-WA0004.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 146
Sponsored Links
Very possibly...they used to put both meters in side by side, those used to feed the gas fires. From the looks of your board you must have a gas boiler somewhere and a hob ?, can you trace that back to the gas meter ? any spurs coming off the pipe work to feed that pipe. If not its probably just the old pipe that was cut off. If I was a devil I would just unscrew that cap and see if any gas came out, but thats me.

Its not going to be that much to get the pipe cut back and re capped out they way if it is live, less than a hours work.

Very possibly...they used to put both meters in side by side, those used to feed the gas fires. From the looks of your board you must have a gas boiler somewhere and a hob ?, can you trace that back to the gas meter ? any spurs coming off the pipe work to feed that pipe. If not its probably just the old pipe that was cut off. If I was a devil I would just unscrew that cap and see if any gas came out, but thats me.

Its not going to be that much to get the pipe cut back and re capped out they way if it is live, less than a hours work.

Hi

The gas is in the understairs cupboard and the supply into the gas meter comes in from the road and then bends 90 degrees up into the isolation valve so it appears that this is a seperate pipe, I've unscrewed the cap off the top and there is no smell or sound of gas coming out so it would appear it is not live, I can get some ratchet threaders from work so I will probably chop it and rethread it and put the end cap back on, yes I've got a gas hob and a combi boiler all pipework goes back to the combi

Sponsored Links
It is a brave, foolish (or both) person that takes a cap off a pipe without knowing if it is live or not. The OP has got away with it this time, but had that been live, you may well struggle to get it to seal again, meanwhile allowing gas to escape into the building and creating an extremely dangerous situation.

The Gas Transporter would then have to excavate outside, find the pipe and cut and cap it there in order to make the installation safe once again. Which, apart from a large bill, could also result in a prosecution for illegal DIY Gas work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back