Move gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning ta rear extension to my property and the gas meter would need to be moved.

It is currently on the rear wall, and I am looking to move to the side wall. The distance would be circa 2m. (1.5m to corner, 0.5m along from corner).

1. From the picture below can you anticipate any issues?
2. What type of box would be best?
3. When is this best to do in relation to my extension? (Organise quotes, etc now and do at start of build so pipes can be run internally/hidden)?

Thanks.
Gas_6.jpg

[Black gas pipe comes up from below patio]

[I understand that I would need to contact the gas distributor (SGN based on this map) to arrange a quote/complete the works.]

Sponsored Links
Get it moved as soon as possible as SGN often have a long lead time.

A standard external box would suit and a temporary feed to the hob will be needed to be rerouted during the building works.

The price to move SHOULD be very reasonable as no under ground works are required and so it is very simple for them. But many times they seem to quote about £1000 regardless of what is involved. So why not get the quote and it high try to argue that it is a very simple job.

Usually them move the supply and the box but leave YOU to have your own engineer to do the outlet pipework.

Tony

Last edited:
Also more work involved fitting it and so potentially more expensive too.

That one is not installed. But when they are can be lower down relative to the surrounding surface.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile yet again showing his lack of knowledge saying no underground work required he doesnt know how they will alter it

And SGN would charge an exhorbitant £100.o_O.:rolleyes:
Tony, I think the picture shows ot fitted properly to the ground level.

Thanks for info.

How low can they go? i.e. How much of the main part would need to protrude above ground? Just enough to close lid?

If they go low does the gas pipes enter/exit underground? Is this an issue?

How would it be insulated? Oversized hole, padded out with insulation?

Thanks.

And SGN would charge an exhorbitant £100.o_O.:rolleyes:
Tony, I think the picture shows ot fitted properly to the ground level.

My previous post was intended to show a possible figure of £1000, since corrected.

The picture is of a meter box not finally fitted as there is no outlet pipe connected.

It looks as if there is a concrete slab to be added which will result in the meter box being visually lower.

Tony

How much of the main part would need to protrude above ground? Just enough to close lid?
And enouh to open the lid. The lid on mine does not open fully due to being too close to the wall.
If they go low does the gas pipes enter/exit underground? Is this an issue?
Incomer will be under ground, supply to the house varies

These are photos of my semi con box and shows where the bottom corner of the previous surface mounted box had been.
semi gas _2.jpg semi gas.jpg

The bill from National Grid for this move in July 2011 was £712.80

Incomer will be under ground, supply to the house varies
111756-942f0d286a495b07beeb0237716971f3.jpg

Did you do the prep/digging?

What is required in my scenario given the gas input pipe is already in situ?

What groundworks prep would I need to do if I want to switch to a semi-concealed?

[I have had a quote for £390; assumes meter moved but pipework not extended & no digging by SGN]

If I recall correctly I dug and exposed the incoming gas supply pipe and dug the route for the pipe to reach the box and dug the hole for the box.

If you dig to expose the gas pipe be very carefull not to damage the pipe.

I cannot recall for sure if I bought the box or if National Grid supplied it as part of the project, ( cannot find a receipt for it ).

They usually supply the meter box.

That seems a comparatively reasonable quote.

If you wanted a semi concealed then I am surprised that you did not ask for that.

Tony

If you wanted a semi concealed then I am surprised that you did not ask for that.
The quote form asked about existing type but did not ask about new type?

Hmm, don't fancy breaking up the paving/digging close to the gas input. Might just end up sticking it on the wall...

Sure I read they comer out for a 'site survey'. Might ask at that point.

Yes, you should.

And see how much more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back