Gas Meter Move

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Scotland, do i have to use SGN to move my gas meter? the price they quoted seem's absolutely ludicrous.

Sponsored Links
No one but the carrier or designated firm are permitted to alter or rerun a service pipe. Once that is done any registered gas installer with the correct meter ticket can rerun the internal supplies to the new meter position.

sounds like a bit of a monopoly then? I'm probably just a bit bitter that they are going to charge me £555 to take the meter off the wall and put it somewhere else without actually having to install any new pipe work.

No one but the carrier or designated firm are permitted to alter or rerun a service pipe. Once that is done any registered gas installer with the correct meter ticket can rerun the internal supplies to the new meter position.

what constitutes the internal supply though if you wanted your fitter to relocate a meter? is it any pipe as soon as it enters the home?

Sponsored Links
The internal supplies start at the outlet (RHS)of the meter, and carries the gas to your appliances. The fitter is not allowed to alter the service pipe.

How can they take it off the wall and move it to somewhere else without altering pipework?

I said no "new" pipe work minor and i really do mean minor alterations will be required...the supply enters my property in the hallway then goes under the floorboards and comes back out in the kitchen, they'll just be attaching it to existing pipework then its my responsibility to have it all hooked up again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back