Is this in any way possible?!?

Do you need help in finding a modern good quality extractor with a ball-bearing motor and rubber mounts?

No, just my bathroom is a single skin brick walls width away from nextdoors third bedroom.
We try not to wake up their kids if we can help it! :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I appreciate all the help so far. However we both dislike a bit of string dangling from the ceiling in a modern bathroom setting. Is there a modern equivalent that doesn't involve string?!

Some people think you are not allowed a wall switch in a bathroom.

They are mistaken.

but not near the shower, surely, which is where most people would probably want it (including us! :))

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What does "near" mean?

Switches, such as light switches, are often placed beside a door, so you can operate them as you enter or leave a room.

I appreciate all the help so far. However we both dislike a bit of string dangling from the ceiling in a modern bathroom setting. Is there a modern equivalent that doesn't involve string?!
I'm a bit confused. In your initial post you wrote:
SWMBO wants the shower room fan to come on by means of a pull switch ...
Does this mean that you do want a 'pull switch', but you want the thing you pull to be connected to the switch with some material other than 'string' (which is not what pull switches normally use, anyway) ??

Kind Regards, John

sorry yes that was confusing. What I meant was than further consideration string seems a rather outdated method in a modern bathroom

sorry yes that was confusing. What I meant was than further consideration string seems a rather outdated method in a modern bathroom
Fair enough. So I think you're now saying that you would prefer not to have a pull switch? If that's the case, then you could have a wall-mounted switch (again, a 'retractive'/'momentary action' one, to achieve what you want) so long as it was at least 600mm (horizontally) from any bath/shower.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back