is this job any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am a first year 2330 student who is trying to get into the industry. The following job has come up on jobcentre site. I want to know if it will help me get into electrical or not. The problem is it will be nights and I have to know if its any good to my career.

LIGHTING RELAMP ENGINEERS

Applicants must be 21+ for insurance purposes. Previous electrical experience would be an advantage as this is a semi skilled position. Must have a full clean driving licence. Will be working in retail and commercial premises throughout the northern region.The work will involve the bulk replacement of lamps, fault finding and replacement of defective components. Due to the nature of the retail business out of hours work will be required as most work will be over night time periods.

Any good?

Sponsored Links
I don't see much scope for widening your experience or being promoted to something better :(

Youi might learn from fault-finding, but to learn you need to be with someone who'll pass on experience to you, and getting exposure to a variety of conditions. I bet most of the job will be running up ladders and changing bulbs.

Sorry.

Put your home town in your profile, you never know...

Agree with JohnD, it is a bit too limited scope. What sort of electrical work are you wanting to get into, industrial, commercial or domestic?

We do relamping for several stores. Very boring.

Generally all done live, and before the shops open.

Some sites agree to change all lamps in an area on a 6 monthly basis, and others wait until plenty have blown before getting you in to change JUST THE ONES THAT ARE OUT! (despite repeated recommendations).

We also have contracts with some companies to simply clean lamps and diffs every 3 months!

You can make more money on supplying the lamps than fitting them if you source carefully. Other comapanies source the lamps themself, as they have the same lamps in xxxx amount of stores.

The elec @ work act is good in away.......guaranteed work!

Quite often durig a lamp change you may find a fitting with a dodgy gear tray/choke/burnt term block etc.... Oh the joy! A real bit of lecky work may then be required!

Don't do as much as we once did, perhabs due to the job centre and companies setting up doing purely this job.......so us more expensive sparkies get pushed to one side.

Sponsored Links
Update: I want to get into any sector that will have me really!! Domestics for a start.

And those metal reflectors in ceiling grids are a bugger to replace (and get down sometimes).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back